I've Done Everything Right, But Resident Cat Haaates New Kitten

ArmyOfMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

We have a resident cat who is about 13 years old. She's always been, shall we say, moody, but is pleasant a lot of the time.

We got a new kitten 4 weeks ago (8 weeks when we got her), and kept the two apart for 10 days, did scent swapping (our resident cat is outside a lot, so we'd let the kitten around the house when the older cat was out). We finally introduced them for the first time after 10 days, only to look at each other (we held the kitten in her room, and let the older cat see her through the doorway). Older cat was pissed off and ran away, as expected.

We waited a few more days, and since then over the past 2.5 weeks, we've introduced them slowwwwwly - first through a crack in a door, and eventually in the same room. We make sure they "meet" at least once a day now (never force them together, just put them in the same room together (a big room, mind you)), but our resident cat FREAKS out. Every time.

So much so that she growls and hisses constantly, whether or not the kitten is anywhere around. She's attacked us, and has attacked the kitten about 8 times.

Is there no hope? I know our resident cat won't ever love the kitten, but being able to let them roam the house together without fear of murder would be sufficient!

Any thoughts as to a next step, to try to get the older cat to stop attacking the little one? Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Adjustments are tough for a 13 year old. When you say she is attacking the kitten, exactly what is she doing? Hisses, swats and growls are to be expected as she lets everyone know she is not happy with this interloper on her territory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArmyOfMe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She attacks as in screams, then charges (ears back) and tries to scratch the kitten's face (claws out). We haven't ever let it go past that, but if left alone I'm not sure what she'd do - don't know if she'd just claw at her and leave, or actually grab hold of the kitten and try to bite - don't want to find out!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult female cats are not likely to harm a kitten, instinct or something, but I understand why it would make you nervous. Usually it’s a good hard slap that happens but you don’t want the little one to be hurt. I would try putting the kitten in a dog type crate where your older cat can see her, smell her but can’t actually get to her to hurt her. I would do this for at least a couple hours of this a day until your cat settles down.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add a large piece of cardboard or a thick poster board to work as a sight blocker. When she gets all agitated, block her site of the kitten. It works to calm down lots of aggression and is a good way to break up a charge.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there, this is a shot in the dark. I have owned a lot of guinea pigs my whole life from a child. I had multiple Guinean pigs at one time. To help the new guineas be accepted by my current ones, I always used a baby powder or a light sweet perfume rub it on my hands and put the back of all the pigs. That way they all have the same scent. I know it’s weird and it may not work, this just reminded me of it. It may be worth a try..