I've created a monster

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neutered male is 4 years old. He eats one can of wet food (1/2 in am, 1/2 in pm) and is free-fed dry food (Nutro). I also started giving him treats years ago and thus I have created a monster.

I am home all day so pretty much any time I am in the kitchen he meows or scratches at the drawer and I gave him treats. When my mother comes over she also does this so now he knows if he rubs her legs enough he will get a treat.

Problem is he has started attacking if you ignore him. The other day my mother was over, sitting on the couch. Cat is rubbing her legs back and forth (because he knows she gives him what he wants). Pretty soon he attacks her foot with claws and teeth.

I know the solution is to break him of the treat habit. I did this a few months ago but then fell back into our old ways. I do need to give him treats to be able to trim his nails or else he squirms too much.

Anyhow, my mother is nice enough to watch the cat at her house while we go on vacation. I am worried about him getting vicious with her. I might add that he can be one of those cats that snap at you if you pet them too long.

I am cutting him off the treats cold-turkey once again. But... I am also wondering if adding a little Rescue Remedy (never used it before) to his wet food might chill him out while he is staying there. If so, what is the dosage and how long do the affects last? Also, anyone know where to buy it?