I've Changed My Mind About Charlie

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love this story. It reminds me so much of when I got Max. He was just so different from the other cat we were used to. He did strange things and got on my nerves really bad. I ran an ad in the paper and put a sign in the local convenient store to try and give him away. It didn't happen. He got out of the house one night when my dad left.
We couldn't find him when it was time to go to bed. He stayed gone two nights and that is when I realized I loved him.
We rode the highways and drove around the neighborhood trying to find him. On the third day, before we got out of bed, I heard a banging noise at the front storm door. When I went to look, it was him. He had laid down on the porch and slipped his paw up under the storm door. He was banging it trying to get our attention. So I give you a warning. This cat had become my "soul mate" cat. He turned out to be the smartest cat I had ever known. We lost him to kidney failure in 2005. A piece of my heart is gone forever.

I think this cat you have may very well turn out to be the love of your life cat. :lol:

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What blueeyedgirl said resonates.

I'm having bonding problems myself due to grief and skittishness, and we've had two escapes that left me horribly upset.

And each kitten has given me moments of 'maybe they really do care'. Nose licks and weird hair things [Morti is a hair puller, but it feels affectionate?] and random reveals of quirks [yesterday, El decided to show me that she enjoys fetching]. Each moment is usually tearful for me, too.

I'm still sorta resigned to just sharing my house with a pair of aloof, somewhat resentful four-legged housemates, but they might just be willing to accept me as family.

And I'll wait. I'm not going to break the promise that adoption is [to me, anyway].

They're worth it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor eye! Yeah, they can get a bit rambunctious, especially when they don't really see what they are pouncing on!

@coffechick, if they are young, they may become far more affectionate as they mature and settle out of the kittencrazies. Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I woke up at least one neighbor with my yell :lol:

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953:

Adopted at 7 months. A year old this month. Assuming the estimates are correct.

Probably have more crazies left, but that's okay.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have one of those "stand-offish" cats, myself. She actually turned into a major lap cat at about 5 years of age. Now she follows me around, talking to me non-stop.

SarahhBaileyyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In case you don't know, I had decided to give up my cat after one too many of his freakouts. Recent events have caused me to change my mind.

Charlie stopped cuddling with me after the first month. Occasionally, he would sleep on the bed with me there, but always on the furthest corner.

I boarded him for a week in June to go on vacation. The first night I had him back, he had fallen asleep in my spot on the bed. I moved him to another spot so I could get in, and he came right back and slept in the crook of my arm. Recently, I was gone for the weekend, and he did it again my first night back. Charlie *missed* me.

Today, I was having a lie-down. Without any hesitation, Charlie jumped up beside me, and settled in. He bit my arm at first, but soon he fell asleep. This time, there was no particular reason.

You have no idea how much this means to me. I was going to give him up, but he clearly knows I'm his human. It just took him a long time to show me he knows.
I'm so glad that you have decided to keep your little one. I can very much relate to this. I got Thorin at the shelter. He was just a little under a year old. Like you, after the first month he stopped cuddling me and started sleeping at the far corner of the bed. He began to attack me, though never felt like he was doing it out of spit or with the intent to hurt me. A couple months later, I went on a week long trip and my dad watched after him.

When I got back I swear I came back to a different cat. He could not stop cuddling me when he first saw me. He has stopped attacking me. (He looks like he wants to but now all I have to say is "No." and he goes on his way). He still doesn't cuddle like he used to but likes to be in reaching distance of me due to the fact that he likes me holding his paw and/or likes my hand to be on his tummy while he sleeps. He still sleeps at the corner of the bed, but I think I have figured out the reason behind it. I move a lot as I am trying to fall asleep. I think he lays down there while I get comfortable, then when I don't move after a while he will come cuddle up to me. I've noticed this more and more often. I will wake up and he is cuddled up to my back or will be sprawled out along my side.

Glad you get to keep the company of your kitty!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sitting here laughing gently for pure joy. I'm so glad that you were able to hang in there on this. HUGS :hugs: to both you and :kneading:!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone been groomed by their cat? I think Charlie just did it-he thoroughly licked both hands, and then methodically up my arm. He even did that little nibble I've seen grooming cats do.

I don't know whether to be touched or offended that I evidently didn't meet his standards of hygiene :lol:
I had a cat, Milkshake, that would give me the thorough licking. She'd hold my hand between her paws. I always took it as a sign of affection. She'd be purring away the whole time. Kind of sweet.