I've Been Busy...

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Learning to play the harp.

I've been wanting a harp for years (I've played piano for 60 years) so now I'm retired I wanted something else to learn. I did dabble with the harp 15ish years ago - a 22 string cheap harp but wanted one with more strings.

My son gave me the money to buy one but it was a cheap harp, 36 strings. I bought it from the same UK company I bought my digital grand piano from 6 years ago thinking the harp would also be good. It is one that is made in Pakistan so they tend not to last more than 3 - 5 years but would be good enough to learn on then get something better. Bad mistake.

It would not stay in tune and would go out of tune as soon as I took the tuning key off suggesting the tuning pins were slipping. Then it developed a rocking motion suggesting the frame itself is warping. I was spending more time trying to tune the thing than actually learning to play it. Then a string broke when it wasn't even being played. Plus point there I now know how to replace a harp string. I was getting increasingly frustrated with it and very disappointed as was my son.

There is a very reputable harp shop about half an hour's drive from where I live. I keep an eye on their website. The harp of my dreams was the Dusty Strings Ravenna 34. I had the pleasure of trying one many years ago and fell in love with it.

Imagine my surprise to see one for sale at a very reasonable price (second-hand) because it had been water damaged. It had been rented out to a school and somehow, during the pandemic they must have had a flood and the base of it got wet. It does have a bowed soundboard because of it but otherwise is absolutely fine. A new one costs £3000. This one was for sale for £1200. It's only two years old. Too good to miss so now I'm the proud owner of the harp of my dreams. It keeps in tune and it sounds wonderful. I just need to learn how to play it properly. Having to watch YouTube videos from a couple of ladies who do online teaching, one in Canada and the other is in South Africa. There are no harp teachers in my area, the nearest being 100 miles away. Luckily I can read music so that helps a lot.

Trying to learn some fairly easy Christmas carols.

As for the other harp, it's being returned for a full refund. When I phoned that company, they didn't seem surprised and they actually said it was a manufacturing fault so I think I'm not the only one who's returned a harp. I think the company that makes them in Pakistan rushed the order and quality control went down the drain. The Courier is collecting it on Wednesday.

All's well that ends well though. The Dusty Strings is made in America and the quality is really amazing.

Now you know where I disappeared to :biggrin:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful.. it's such a beautiful instrument.
I do a thing called Kirtan, which is the singing of Sanskrit mantras, normally to the accompaniment of a Harmonium.
harmonium.jpg

However some who attend are a little innovative and I have a Japanese student who is so good with learning instruments and lately she has been bringing her harp. It is just divine. Kirtan is meant to be meditative, and the harp just lends itself so beautifully to that.

Maybe Tigger's Mum Tigger's Mum you could post a recording? I'm very envious.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harp music is so divine. I've always wanted to learn to play one. Congratulations on finding your favorite.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Harp music must be one of the most pleasant sounds in the world. I love the emotion of the cello; but a hard is just peaceful.

I’ve always wondered if the posture is hard to maintain? Maybe your piano expertise will help with that kind of thing.

I hope you have many happy years with the harp! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Harp music must be one of the most pleasant sounds in the world. I love the emotion of the cello; but a hard is just peaceful.

I’ve always wondered if the posture is hard to maintain? Maybe your piano expertise will help with that kind of thing.

I hope you have many happy years with the harp! :redheartpump:
That is something I do have a problem with but more so with the piano. I was born with a slight curvature of the spine which I didn't really know about until my older brother told me (his is quite pronounced) but did wonder why some clothes seemed to "gap" at the back of the neck. Now I know why. In 2020 I damaged my lower back really badly (mangled a disc), got no help for it at all then just before Christmas 2020 damaged my back further up. Since then my back has taken on the classic "dowager's hump" so the harp with her slightly arched soundboard and my arched back are two of a kind. Think I've found my instrument soulmate.

I do have back braces I use sometimes when playing the piano. So far I haven't had a problem playing for a couple of hours at a time with the harp as I've got the stool adjusted to just the right height. I also think because the harp has such a relaxing sound that helps too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good for you! (And more melodious than learning to play the bagpipes!)

Ah. The bagpipes. I'm Scottish and before moving to England 26 years ago my daughter played the bagpipes in a pipeband. I played the side drums but more often the bass drum in the same band. She still lives in Scotland with her family but doesn't play now. When she was learning it wasn't too bad because in the house she played the chanter which isn't too loud and doesn't have the drone. The band used to practice in a large hall. The pipers down one end, the drummers at the other. The bagpipes were "corked" for the learners which cuts off the drone and lessens the overall sound so it was never too noisy.

Happy days and we did have a lot of fun playing at weddings and other functions.