I’ve accidentally traumatised my cat :(

stgeorgescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please be kind because I already feel absolutely sick with guilt.

Two days ago I accidentally shut my cat in the door. She wasn’t there at all and as I turned around to pull it I felt resistance and then saw her so she must have darted through it. I am usually so careful about where they are at all times so I can’t stop beating myself up about it.

She didn’t cry but of course immediately ran away from me and wouldn’t come near me at all for an hour or so. She is extremely social so I had to get my parents to come round to check her and she was completely fine with them, no signs of injuries.

She is eating, using the litter tray, drinking, playing etc but she is still spooked. She is hiding under the bed when there are loud noises which is something she has never done. She still gets spooked of me sometimes even though she’s sat on my lap since. Will she get over this or have a scarred her for life? I feel like if she was going to be okay she would be already (it’s been 48 hours) because in my experience animals either bounce back right away or they don’t and I’m so scared about it :(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dont beat yourself up about it, cats are so silent and quick getting caught in a door happens.

It may take a while for her to get back to normal, she doesn't understand what happened. Just sit quietly in the room with her, talk to her or read aloud. Offer her a treat but if she wont take it from your hand, just it leave it by her. Be patient, she will trust you again but it will be in her time not yours.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stgeorgescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. She is okay with me, laying on me, purring, taking treats but she just still seems scared in general. I just really hope I haven’t scarred her for life

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sort of stuff happens to all of us. We are more traumatized than they are. It's hard not to put human emotions onto an animal.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont worry.....she is laying on you and purring.......lots of love, treats and playtime. Give her time.

At least she wasnt physically hurt. Perhaps this close call will save her from a serious injury from the door closing in the future.

On the other hand....my cat arnold has had the door close on him a couple of times and STILL makes a run thru the door whenever he sees a chance. The 3 hours a day in the fenced backyard arent enough for him.:mad:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who hasn't stepped on a cat by accident? And I've closed a door on a cat (several times) as well (in my defense, he is an escape artist!)

Anyway, no its not your fault. Or even if it is to some degree, well, you can't be 100% careful and tripple checking everything your whole life. And he will be fine. Maybe he is still a bit scared, and maybe he has a bruise that is making this linger. It will fade soon enough. Cats have 9 lives and you didn't even use one :)