It's the end of an era in a way...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My mother-in-law called me last night. She had been to her doctor yesterday afternoon as she is having trouble with her knees. I asked her to please call me to tell me what her doctor had said. Advice is to stay off her legs for awhile. My MIL is 92 years old, so she's earned a right to rest, bless her heart. She's an amazing woman.

Well, she asked me if I could do her a favor. I asked her what she needed. "Pam, would you make the hot cross buns this year?" It broke my heart. My MIL is an avid baker, she's a wonderful baker and she loves to bake more than anything in the world. I was stunned. I immediately said that, of course, I'd make the buns. I've never made hot cross buns before; it's something my MIL has always done. It's always been her job. That she feels she's no longer able to do something she loves doing so much makes me sad.

So then I asked her if they wanted to come here for Easter dinner. Without hesitation, she said, absolutely, they would come. She said she just isn't up to making a big dinner anymore, she's too tired, and, if Rick would go up and bring them down, they'd love to come. And then she said that she was really hoping we'd ask them.

I told Rick about it last night and he says, too, that it's sad. And that it's almost like the end of an era, in that it looks like I will be taking over the family baking. That's fine with me as I dearly love to bake, too. And my MIL taught me everything she ever knew about baking. She is truly a wonderful Mom to all of us. And at 92? She can do whatever she wants to do, even if it's flopping down on the couch for awhile.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is sad on one and.

On the other hand, she trusts you enough to know you will continue the tradition.  An honor, one that you wish hadn't come so soon.

Kind of like some of the traits, roles surviving Furbabies take on when their fur-sister/brother in heart (if not genetically) has passed away.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: it means a lot that it's you she chose to pass the tradition on to.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's a real rite of passage graciously handed down from your wonderful mother-in-law!

I'm sure you will have a very special Easter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam I remember meeting Rick's Mom when I was there.  I'll never forget her driving that truck, that was really something.  My Mom also loved hot cross buns, it was an Easter tradition here.  Yes seeing our loved ones getting older and not being able to do things they used to do and loved is a sad thing to see. 

Inviting them for dinner was a great idea.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
92, bless her! As you said, she's earned the rest. I'm sure you will do her proud, honoring the family traditions. :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread made me cry. My dad was 91 when we lost him. It is sad when we see them admit they can no longer do it. Your mother-in-law does deserve a rest. Prayers and best wishes for you with the new responsibilities of leading the family to the table.. This serves as a reminder to love them every day while we have them. They are so precious. :nod:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She certainly deserves to rest and have someone else cook the holiday dinners.  It's amazing that she has been able to do it up to the age that she is.  Cooking holiday meals for large groups of people really tires me out and I'm only 57.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. My MIL is truly a wonderful person....she just is and I'm so blessed to have her. She has done so much for me; many of you know that when I first married Rick, I couldn't even boil water. And that's the truth. She took me under her wing and we cooked and cooked and baked. I can remember her coming to the house years and years ago and we would have marathon baking sessions where we did nothing but spend the entire day baking apple pies. Or peach pies. Or making Christmas cookies. It's what we did. I had so much trouble with pie dough and she made up her mind that I was going to learn how to make pie dough or die trying. She told me that she was not having her son eat store-bought pie dough! Took me awhile, but we figured it out. We don't do those marathon baking sessions anymore....she can't and I don't have the time.

But we'll still get together and make dinner. One time, she and I were both intrigued by a method that Alton Brown used to roast prime rib. It called for a terra cotta planter in the oven. She called me and said, "I'll get the roast; you get the planter. Come up on Saturday!" Best prime rib we ever had! We still make doughnuts and I fry them in her old Sunbeam electric saucepan while she reads the morning newspaper.

When we were in Agnes back in 1972, we lost everything. We ended up living with my in-laws for about 3 months before we could move into a HUD-trailer. Rick and his dad would get up and go to work. After I took care of the baby, she and I would spend the day cooking, baking, whatever. She had taken some vacation time and then when she went back to work and I was at the house, she told me what she wanted me to prepare for dinner and how she wanted it done. And I did it.

I remember that I had a really hard time with her electric stove; I was used to gas. (And keep in mind that I was 17 years old at the time, too.) I ruined one of her Dutch ovens because I put the pan on the stove after I dried it, but forgot to turn off the burner. One time we were sitting at the table having dinner and suddenly my FIL jumped up and ran to the kitchen. I had tossed a dish towel on the stove, but again, forgot to turn the burner off. And the dish towel caught fire. My FIL looked at me and said, "You know, you're going to burn down the house if you keep this up!"  My MIL looked at me......and winked! I never forgot to turn off the burner again.

I love that woman. And I'm the luckiest DIL around.

(Oh, and as for the pie dough? Last year, we were sitting around the kitchen table after Christmas dinner. I was talking to my MIL about a pie that I wanted to make. She asked me if I was going to make my own pie dough......I kind of sank down into my chair and said very quietly that I was not. She looked at me and said, "I don't blame you.....life is too short to mess with pie dough; that's what Pillsbury is for!" And I'm telling you that hell froze over that day!
My sister saw the look on my face and she laughed so hard she almost fell off her chair!)

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Oh, and as for the pie dough? Last year, we were sitting around the kitchen table after Christmas dinner. I was talking to my MIL about a pie that I wanted to make. She asked me if I was going to make my own pie dough......I kind of sank down into my chair and said very quietly that I was not. She looked at me and said, "I don't blame you.....life is too short to mess with pie dough; that's what Pillsbury is for!" And I'm telling you that hell froze over that day!
My sister saw the look on my face and she laughed so hard she almost fell off her chair!)
Tooooo funny!  My Gram was the pie maker in the family and had all us kids working on pie dough from early on.  I can see her doing exactly that!  

Since Gram went into the nursing home a few years ago my Grandpa started experimenting with baking.  I think Gram would have a fit if she saw his baking methods!  It's usually not very pretty; but it tastes good!  (Or he tosses it!)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I guess they want to make sure that we know how to make the dough. Once we get it down pat, though, well, then store-bought is OK. But I never expected to hear that coming out of my MIL's mouth!

Your grandpa sounds like a winner! 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
:lol3::lol3::lol3: Love that. :clap: She would be very disappointed in me. Pie crusts are ne thing I have never mastered. I usually buy one from the store.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
America's Test Kitchen has a unique recipe for pie crust.  It replaces half the water with vodka, which evaporates and leaves the crust flaky.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have that recipe! And I just saw it again on Cook's Country last night about the vodka; they were making a strawberry pie and Chris made the crust....looked super easy to roll out. Supposedly, too much water will make the pie dough heavy and dense. Using 1/4 cup of vodka to replace some of the water is an interesting concept and I want to try it. The alcohol will evaporate as the crust bakes and you don't smell or taste it.....although vodka is difficult to smell or taste anyway. I thought that was fascinating. I always learn something from watching that show. Always.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have that recipe! And I just saw it again on Cook's Country last night about the vodka; they were making a strawberry pie and Chris made the crust....looked super easy to roll out. Supposedly, too much water will make the pie dough heavy and dense. Using 1/4 cup of vodka to replace some of the water is an interesting concept and I want to try it. The alcohol will evaporate as the crust bakes and you don't smell or taste it.....although vodka is difficult to smell or taste anyway. I thought that was fascinating. I always learn something from watching that show. Always.
I love it and Cook's Country.  Even though I don't use many of their recipes, I love to see Chris go all gooey over them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess they want to make sure that we know how to make the dough. Once we get it down pat, though, well, then store-bought is OK. But I never expected to hear that coming out of my MIL's mouth!

Your grandpa sounds like a winner! 
He is amazing.  91 and my DD shares his birthday.  DS has his name as his middle name.  He was the best grandpa a little girl could have ever wanted.  Now that I'm grown we have some good long chats. 
  During my wedding I kept hearing some sorta loud, deep sniffling going on behind me.  I had to ask my bridesmaids who it was...it was Grandpa! 

If you get to try that let me know how it goes!  I haven't had time to make my own crusts in a while but I've had trouble getting my crusts to come out like my Gram's.  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your MIL sounds just so very lovely and wonderful inside and out. What an honor for you, Pam, and yes, at the same time a bit sad that she is passing the "ball" to you. That's life, I guess, and that's how traditions are made. :hugs: :hugs: You will do her proud as she was a good teacher. :D :clap::clap:

p.s. :flail: on the PIllsbury pie dough!!!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Terry, I was laughing at Chris last night during America's Test Kitchen. I can't remember the woman's name; I know it wasn't one of the regulars, but she was making Thai-type stir-fried rice and Chris was going on and on about he couldn't pronounce the name of the recipe. Then he was worried about the spiciness of the dish. But it all came out OK and he enjoyed it. Of course, they always do enjoy their dishes. I like Adam, too. Last night, he reviewed smoker boxes. I thought it was interesting as we'll be buying a new smoker box for our gas grill this spring. I really like that show and look forward to watching the episodes.

Aw, Mooch.....your Grandpa dearly loves you!

Lauren, she is truly a wonderful woman. She really is. I am blessed.

Last edited: