It's Mollipop and Muffin (Again)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
They were too upset about Jackie being here that they didn't pick on each other much at all. Now that they're used to The Beast, they're at each other again.

I have two litter boxes in the bathroom for Muffin; one has scoopable and the other is regular clay. She is using the one with regular clay. And she is using the litter box; I've not seen any spraying or any peeing anywhere but the box. That's a good thing. I think she's feeling better; the cystitis must be much better. She is still eating the Methigel ointment, once a day....she licks it off the plate with no problem.

Muffin is being dosed with the Composure only once a day now; she seems fine. Mollipop is getting two doses and will continue to get two doses for a while yet, I think, because it's pretty clear to me that Molli is the aggressor in this situation. I do think the Composure has helped Muffin, not sure about Mollipop.

And Muffin wants out of the bathroom. Big time. I had posted on another thread that she started pawing at the door and yelling to get out of there at 2:30 this morning. That set everybody else off, so I've been awake since then. I think that when we're home and I can keep an eye on things, she needs to be out of the bathroom and have the run of the house. When I'm not home, though, I think she's safer in the bathroom.

Not sure what to do about night time. Molli and Muffin used to sleep with me; Molli to my left and Muffin to my right, curled up in my arms. But what would happen is that Muffin would get up around 4:00 or so to use the litter box and Molli would go after her then (when I'm not awake to watch them). Then Muffin would start yelling and snorting and that would wake me up. So maybe, again for Muffin's own protection, she probably should stay in the bathroom during the night (but then she'd be yelling throughout the night to get back out of the bathroom. It's a vicious cycle.).

I told Rick this morning that I think we need to find a really good enzymatic cleaner (we've been using Bissell Pet Cleaner, but I'm not sure how good it is for urine, although the bottle says it's to be used for accidents). My co-worker is bringing his black light to work so I can bring it home and check out the computer room for any urine/spraying spots that I may have missed, even though I cleaned the heck out of the room. Clean the computer room again, as best we can. And then let Muffin go when I'm at home to deal with it all.

Really, I'm trying to deal with this as best I can. I'm thinking of anything I can do to make things better for both of them. I'm selfish in that I don't want to lose either one of the girls. I love them both so much. I adore Mollipop, but Muffin is amazing, too. Both are cuddlers, although it took a while for Muffin to come around to cuddling.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Would it help to put a cat flap (programmable or with a collar key) in the computer room door that would allow Muffin to have a Mollipop-free space where she can go, but leave again whenever she wants to?

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, I use Natures Miracle enzymatic cleaner. I think it is one of the best ones around. 

Very easy to use, even on carpeting. When I use it on carpets, I sop up most of it, and then leave a few paper towels on top, and then put something on top of it, un oil it dries. That way the cat can stay away from that wet area. 

I think the cat flap door is a great idea..remote controlled from her collar.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Would it help to put a cat flap (programmable or with a collar key) in the computer room door that would allow Muffin to have a Mollipop-free space where she can go, but leave again whenever she wants to?
I think that's a great idea! Thank you! I'm going to talk to Rick about it. I don't know why in the world I didn't think of something like that!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Pam, I use Natures Miracle enzymatic cleaner. I think it is one of the best ones around. 

Very easy to use, even on carpeting. When I use it on carpets, I sop up most of it, and then leave a few paper towels on top, and then put something on top of it, un oil it dries. That way the cat can stay away from that wet area. 

I think the cat flap door is a great idea..remote controlled from her collar.
Thank you.....I'm going to look for Nature's Miracle.

Part of the problem is that our house is so small, it's really hard to find a place for just one cat to be happy, when there are six of them.

Here's the plan. My co-worker brought his black light in this morning for me to go through the house. I'm going to clean, clean, clean, and then clean some more, esp back in the computer room and the bedroom. I'm ordering a cat door with a collar chip for Muffin (and I may get an extra one for Tabby, too, in case she'd like to go into the computer room to keep Muffin company). After the cleaning spree, Muffin will go back into the computer room to live for a week or so, until we see how things go with spraying. I can honestly say that Muffin has not sprayed/peed in the bathroom, other than in her litter box. (But she wants out of the bathroom so badly. She does come out for a while every night when I'm home; I keep Molli in the bedroom while Muffin has the living room and kitchen. But it's not enough and it's not fair for her to have to live in such a small space.)

Once we get the cat door installed in the computer room door and we know it's working OK, then I'll give Muffin the run of the house. I'm hoping that Muffin gets the hang of the cat gate in the computer room door and she can figure out how to use it. That way, if she needs a safe place, she can go into the computer room and have some peace away from Mollipop.

When I order the cat door this weekend, I'm also ordering a really wide gate for the area between the kitchen and living room; that way Jackie can't get into the kitchen at all when I'm trying to feed the cats. Jackie won't eat the cats' food; she does wait til I can get her food in her dish. But all that prancing around, following me while I put cat plates on the floor also intimidates the heck out of Muffin. In the morning, Muffin usually waits til Rick and Jackie are outside before coming out to the kitchen for breakfast. And as soon as they come back into the house, Muffin is gone and I take the rest of her breakfast into the bathroom so she can eat in quiet. Jackie's prancing and being so rambunctious bothers all the cats to a certain degree, but Muffin more so than the rest of them. With the gate (and I'm ordering a "door" as well, so we can keep the gate up all the time and just open/shut the door to come into the kitchen), I'm hoping that will keep Muffin calmer, too. The door also has a kitty door opening that the cats can come and go at will, but Jackie can not. We'll let Jackie into the kitchen when Muffin isn't around.

Meanwhile, Molli is still on the Composure twice-daily and Muffin once a day. I intend to finish the bottle and then take it from there. It may be that they'll need Prozac, but if I can avoid it at all, believe me, I will.

Thank you for reading and for all your ideas. It's much appreciated. I just want things to be easier for all of us.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you.....I'm going to look for Nature's Miracle.

Part of the problem is that our house is so small, it's really hard to find a place for just one cat to be happy, when there are six of them.

Here's the plan. My co-worker brought his black light in this morning for me to go through the house. I'm going to clean, clean, clean, and then clean some more, esp back in the computer room and the bedroom. I'm ordering a cat door with a collar chip for Muffin (and I may get an extra one for Tabby, too, in case she'd like to go into the computer room to keep Muffin company). After the cleaning spree, Muffin will go back into the computer room to live for a week or so, until we see how things go with spraying. I can honestly say that Muffin has not sprayed/peed in the bathroom, other than in her litter box. (But she wants out of the bathroom so badly. She does come out for a while every night when I'm home; I keep Molli in the bedroom while Muffin has the living room and kitchen. But it's not enough and it's not fair for her to have to live in such a small space.)

Once we get the cat door installed in the computer room door and we know it's working OK, then I'll give Muffin the run of the house. I'm hoping that Muffin gets the hang of the cat gate in the computer room door and she can figure out how to use it. That way, if she needs a safe place, she can go into the computer room and have some peace away from Mollipop.

When I order the cat door this weekend, I'm also ordering a really wide gate for the area between the kitchen and living room; that way Jackie can't get into the kitchen at all when I'm trying to feed the cats. Jackie won't eat the cats' food; she does wait til I can get her food in her dish. But all that prancing around, following me while I put cat plates on the floor also intimidates the heck out of Muffin. In the morning, Muffin usually waits til Rick and Jackie are outside before coming out to the kitchen for breakfast. And as soon as they come back into the house, Muffin is gone and I take the rest of her breakfast into the bathroom so she can eat in quiet. Jackie's prancing and being so rambunctious bothers all the cats to a certain degree, but Muffin more so than the rest of them. With the gate (and I'm ordering a "door" as well, so we can keep the gate up all the time and just open/shut the door to come into the kitchen), I'm hoping that will keep Muffin calmer, too. The door also has a kitty door opening that the cats can come and go at will, but Jackie can not. We'll let Jackie into the kitchen when Muffin isn't around.

Meanwhile, Molli is still on the Composure twice-daily and Muffin once a day. I intend to finish the bottle and then take it from there. It may be that they'll need Prozac, but if I can avoid it at all, believe me, I will.

Thank you for reading and for all your ideas. It's much appreciated. I just want things to be easier for all of us.
Amazon has Nature's Miracle cheaper than Petsmart  or Petco

All these behavior issues remind me of something funny that happened a while back. My dog Bailey was a daddy's girl all the way. Whenever he would close his recliner to get up or if he would start talking to me out of the blue, she would start screaming her head off. I used to tell him that she was announcing him and telling everyone to pay attention 

it used to annoy him to no end because he'd have to stop talking until she was done or I wouldn't be able to hear a word. One day he finally had enough. He closed the recliner to come talk to me in the kitchen and she started up. 

He came into the kitchen, and this is the conversation that took place. I will never forget it so it is pretty much verbatim 

DH: I can't deal with that anymore. I should be able to speak or stand up in my own house without listening to that.

ME: She's announcing you. She thinks it's her job

DH: You need to do something about it. 

ME: What would you like me to do?

DH: You need to sit her down and have a talk with her. (yes- really)

ME: (trying not to laugh as he was totally serious) What would you like me to say?

DH: You tell her that I've had enough of that and I don't want her doing that every time I speak or stand up 

ME: OK. (I then go into the living room where the dog is laying on the floor. I go sit on the couch and call her over)

ME: Bailey, Daddy doesn't want you to scream every time he speaks or stands up, OK? 

BAILEY: Blank stare. 

ME: OK. Thank you. I'm so glad we had this chat.   to DH- Are you happy now?

DH: I could have done that myself

ME: Then why didn't you? 

You really can't make this stuff up. 

Maybe Molli and Muffin need couples counseling....  that's probably what DH would suggest... 

Hopefully all your efforts will pay off and everyone can at least start to co exist peacefully. 

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I order the cat door this weekend, I'm also ordering a really wide gate for the area between the kitchen and living room; that way Jackie can't get into the kitchen at all when I'm trying to feed the cats.
This plan sounds good Pam and I hope it all works out esp. for Muffin.  I hate knowing she has only one room to roam and this just might do the trick.  Take pics when everything is set up.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My co-worker brought his black light into work yesterday for me to check the house. I crawled through that house last night on my hands and knees, shining that light everywhere in the dark house. There are no sprayings/urine markings anywhere in the house. Nothing. Since I've been letting Muffin into the rest of the house, closely supervised, I was a little worried. But things are fine. And the places in the computer room where we used the Bissell Pet Cleaner to clean up her sprayings....there's nothing there at the bookcase where she had really sprayed and peed. It's OK. (I did, however, find some dust bunnies under the bed and under Rick's night stand. I was more than a little embarrassed when I saw them, to be honest. I do vacuum; I swear. But the plain truth is that I'm out-numbered.)

Still going to get Nature's Miracle, just to be on the safe side and will clean the areas again.

Kat, when the cats are mis-behaving, Dear Richard will say, "Pam, your kids are being bad." And I say, "My kids? MY kids?" Why are they always YOUR kids when they're little angels and MY kids when the devils appear?" I guess that's just the way it is. Lately, it's been all about MY girls. Even Jackie became MY girl.