It's getting better !!

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update....I brought a lovely black stray female into the house just before Christmas. I have 2 resident 3-yr old males. Venus, the little black female, has had a nice set up to herself and I've been trying to integrate her into the 'family'.  Tonight was the best....only one of my males really cared...he snarled, batted her, she responded by going into the submission pose. They kept their peace for quite a long time...one on the kitchen chair, and one on the kitchen table. I was in the kitchen the whole time giving both of them lots of praise and treats.  If he got too close by going under the table, she growled at him....perhaps letting him know that she wasn't being bossed around...LOL

I do have a question. She's back in her safe area now. Do you think it's wise for her to keep going into 'her' area every night...or should I start keeping them all together 24 hours. I'm not sure if there will be a regression of acceptance if she leaves the males for her own area every night.

I'm really hoping that this all works out. I'm gaining more confidence in believing that they will get along eventually without any major injury. She's such a sweet cat....and I'm sure she'd love to leave the loneliness of 'her' space.

Thanks for any tips.

Joyce

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she choosing to go into her safe area at night, or are you separating her into that area? If she chooses to go there, then by all means let her go there if it brings her a sense of security right now. If you are putting her there, perhaps try to allow her free on a night where you don't need to work the next day and can sit up and listen to what happens.

I had an adoptee that stayed in her safe zone all day long and wandered out at night. Cats are nocturnal by nature and I think she adopted more quickly because she could do what she wanted during the times when she was at her alert time of day (night).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Momofmany......she prefers to go into her safe area at night. Unfortunately there isn't a day where I can stay in bed...I'm out the door 7 days a week by 8am...either school or working. At least, I am home around 1pm on work days.

I did end up buying Cameo, my dominant male, a 'calming' collar. He's still batting at her and making those high-pitched sounds. She growls at him when he gets close.  His behaviour seems to set off Samson's behaviour too....

I don't know why it takes so long for this to be overcome. I hope she's not scarred for life because of it. At least he's not as aggressive as he used to be.  There is no biting or fighting...just vocals and batting.

I'll keep at it. I wanted to buy some Feliway, but it's only sold at Vet office's, so I can imagine the price of it. I will inquire, but I'm sure it's very expensive. The calming collar isn't a Feliway, but does have the pheremone in it.

Thank you for your interest. I'll keep you posted!!

sumoni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're going through something similar. They've stopped tearing each other apart and just stick to growling. The one being attacked. Hanabi, runs to her usually hiding spots every so often, but is starting to venture out on her own. I would just give the male cat a treat everytime he chooses not to fight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sumoni. I do praise him and pet him with her in view to let him know that she's no threat. I watched him bat at her, and I don't think he even touched her. She's good at hiding too. I know it's getting better and hopefully sometime soon I can let the three of them roam the house without worry. Thank you for your encouragement  :)