Itchy Gums? Stress-scratching?

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. So my kitty had a tooth pulled about a week ago, and I'm wondering if it's itchy as they heal? I've never had one pulled.

She's "scratching" her cheek and neck with her back legs a lot the past couple days. She doesn't appear to be doing any actual damage. I've checked her fur extensively and I see no evidence of fleas or other parasites. Her ears also look very clean.

I've looked at her gums as well (and the vet also looked at them 3 days post-op), and they look good to me. Pink, no swelling, no smell, no drooling, eating mostly normally (not eating 100% of her meals quite yet, but still plenty).

I know taking her to the vet is obviously an option, but she's had 4 vet appointments in under a month, and she has a 5th coming up for her travel clearance. At this point, she's losing trust in me, and it has her extremely stressed out. If I can avoid another vet visit, I think that is best for her. I only want to take her if I suspect something is actually wrong.

Along those lines, I am wondering if this scratching may be stress-related? She has been licking her belly fur to the point where it's thinning. I do have her on a Zylkene to try to reduce her stress (she doesn't like Feliway).

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This does sound as if it is stress-related, especially since her gums look good and the vet seems to be on top of it. One thing you can try is brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling in the fridge, and giving your cat between 1-3 teaspoons per dose, up to 3 times a day. Not only is it calming, but used externally is soothing for skin issues, so if her gums are sore, it may well soothe that as well! I like it because it doesn't leave a cat (or person) as "druggy" as some of the prescription meds for anxiety do, and often works just as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This does sound as if it is stress-related, especially since her gums look good and the vet seems to be on top of it. One thing you can try is brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling in the fridge, and giving your cat between 1-3 teaspoons per dose, up to 3 times a day. Not only is it calming, but used externally is soothing for skin issues, so if her gums are sore, it may well soothe that as well! I like it because it doesn't leave a cat (or person) as "druggy" as some of the prescription meds for anxiety do, and often works just as well.
Thank you! I have lots of chamomile flowers, I love chamomile tea myself. I'll give that a try.

I feel so bad to be making her so stressed, but I don't really have any choice. :( I'm gonna try to make it up to her on the other end and keep her as calm as possible for now. She's not my biggest fan right now, but I don't blame her.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She'll forgive you. Cats aren't big on holding grudges for anything less than real abuse.

LOL, I've recommended chamomile tea so often on here that I'm betting some people are wondering if I get a kickback from chamomile growers (I wish)! But it really is the best non-prescription relaxer around, and safe for most critters in the right dosages.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She'll forgive you. Cats aren't big on holding grudges for anything less than real abuse.

LOL, I've recommended chamomile tea so often on here that I'm betting some people are wondering if I get a kickback from chamomile growers (I wish)! But it really is the best non-prescription relaxer around, and safe for most critters in the right dosages.
Yeah, she's been coming out more the past couple days. It's just been hard on her, poor girl...

Chamomile is good for everyone, it seems. :D

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I was petting Pia, and I felt something bumpy on her neck, where she's scratching.

She let me dig through her truly voluptuous fur and find it, patient little kitty she is. :D

I still don't see any critters on her, but what I did see was what looked like a thick, flaky patch of skin. No blood. Could this just be from the scratching? It doesn't really look like a scab though... It's also round-ish, not straight, and it's skin-colored, not dark, like I'd expect a scratch to be. It's only on one spot on her neck, about the size of the head of a thumb tack. It doesn't seem to hurt her. She didn't recoil when I was messing with it.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure. Allergies can raise patches like that sometimes. So can ringworm. That can be checked for with a blacklight. The fungus glows.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure. Allergies can raise patches like that sometimes. So can ringworm. That can be checked for with a blacklight. The fungus glows.
*sigh* Okie dokie. I'll call the vet and ask about it.

She has switched environments (she's staying with me at a friend's house, since I'm so close to the move). But she has stayed entirely indoors. Is it still possible for it to be ringworm if she's only been inside?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a fungus, and can be brought in. HOWEVER, you just said a BIG mouthful. You're staying with a friend. Cats are totally about territory, and hers has been completely disrupted, which will cause huge amounts of stress. I'm thinking that is probably it, and the chamomile should help with that.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a fungus, and can be brought in. HOWEVER, you just said a BIG mouthful. You're staying with a friend. Cats are totally about territory, and hers has been completely disrupted, which will cause huge amounts of stress. I'm thinking that is probably it, and the chamomile should help with that.
Yeah, fortunately she does know him pretty well, so she's adjusted to it decently ok all things considered. *sigh* I really wish this had all been different, but I'm in a visa nightmare and there's just been no time to plan anything. :( I mean, I know better than this. I feel so bad...

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, yeah, pretty sure she's doing this to herself. I found another bump behind her ear, and that one looks like a legit scratch. Maybe the other one was just older so the darker scab had already gone or something. Ugh, I hate seeing her so stressed!

Anyway, I'm gonna see if I can ring the vet today, and if not Monday and see if they wanna double-check just in case.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Double checking is always good. And the chamomile can help her de-stress. Heck, have a cup yourself, but make yours HOT, not chilled, and with honey. Sugar just isn't that good in it.