Itchy Face Worries

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been noticing Xena scratching at her face, particularly above the eyes for the past week. I haven't seen any evidence of fleas and I gave her a dose of Revolution several days ago, but she is still itching. At what point should I seek treatment? She doesn't go outside in the winter, but I work in a vet clinic and I'm worried I could have brought something home. How easily could I have spread ringworm or mites to her?

She's 4 years old, eats a very varied raw diet and is otherwise healthy. I brought her in to have her vaccines updated just last month and she shook like a leaf the entire time. I'd hate to bring the poor girl back so soon, but every time I catch her itching I worry more.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be her ears bothering her, especially if your weather has been changing. Could be airborne allergies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you think that this might be an allergic reaction, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it in the fridge, and use it as a wash for her. Just wet a soft cloth or cotton ball with the tea, and swab it on the itchy spots. It is wonderfully soothing on any skin "ouchies" on humans and cats (and dogs and horses, that I know of). AND since it is safe for cats internally in the proper dosages, you don't need to worry about her ingesting it during grooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen her scratch at all today, so hopefully it was just a flea bite. Good to know about the chamomile if she gets itchy again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can use it on yourself, as well, should you get insect bites and such. It will even somewhat ease poison ivy rash.