Issues With Pica

toxicglowsticks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello all, I’m about at my wit’s end with my almost 4 year old neutered male cat. He was caught feral when he was about 2-5 months old and my husband and I raised him from then on.

Onto the troubles. When he was a kitten, he ate fine and showed no issues of Pica. It was actually when we brought our resident cat back (she had been staying at my mom’s in the duration and has since passed this year) when he was around 6 months that it began. At about a year old, he ate a rubber duck he found which required surgery. The next year he ate a plush that belonged to my deceased father that was sitting on a shelf. He is relentless getting objects to eat if he sees them. Thankfully we managed to induce vomiting for that one, but he ended up really ill and vomiting blood which took two weeks and hundreds of dollars to fix.

Since it is so financially straining for this habit, we have true to remove any objects he would get into. And he’s confined to his own room when we are not home or at night when he cannot be supervised. He will even go as far as eating the corners of pillows if he’s ambitious enough.

Well the day after Christmas, my husband and I accidentally let our guard down and Cheesecurd got ahold of one of our kitten’s toys. He ate all legs and pompous off except one (picture attached). So of course, we went to the emergency vet to be unsuccessful at vomiting and take x-rays. They decided to see if he could pass them. Fast forward two days and still no sign of them, so back to my vet he went. They kept him for the day and tried barium but it moved through with no issues. So we think they might have passed without me noticing despite checking every two hours those first few days. So almost $1,200 later, there’s no change. Obviously we can’t constantly do this.

Has anyone dealt with this? He has had a full blood and urine analysis done with no health issues. He currently gets 1 cup of Purina One Indoor and a quarter of a can of Friskies per day. So food is readily available.

In regards to boredom, we have tried all types of methods to entertain him while in the room like plastic balls and toys that cannot be consumed but he has no interest. He does love playing with our almost 4 month kitten.

But we are at a loss of how to move forward with this. Because as it happened this week, it just takes one accident of a toy getting left out that we end up several thousand in debt with surgeries. Needless to say, my husband is less than thrilled.

Attachments

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, I understand your pain! I have a pica kitty myself, and it's definitely been stressful trying to keep her from eating things she isn't supposed to. I swear her name for the first year I had her was "Hey! What are you eating!?!"

Some of the strategies that I found helpful was to throw out all the soft plush toys that she could eat. The only toys that she and my kitten are allowed to have are hard balls and feathers. I never put out a new toy without first monitoring to make sure Saipha won't eat it. And no catnip toys either - she loves eating those. After tossing all her soft toys, I got her one "soft" toy that would stand up to her chewing - the Tuffy Jr. line of dog toys. The bone toy managed to survive a year before she chewed through, and I just got a second one for her.

I know it can be struggle finding toys he likes, but I'd rather Saipha have toys she ignores than ones she eats.

Finally, you've got to catproof as much as possible, which it seems like you're already doing. I'd recommend bitter apple spray to put on cords, pillow corners, shoelaces, anything that can't be put away or that might be easily forgotten out. I also put out a bunch of boxes and let Saipha chew on their corners - while cardboard is pretty fiber-heavy, it's less dangerous than her ingesting plastic, hair-ties, or string. I also grow cat grass during the spring and summer for her to chew.

The last thing I'd make a note about is that pica seems to be partially genetic and partially environmental. He probably had a predisposition towards it, but the stress from the resident cat seems to have set it off. I'm betting that keeping him confined to one room is also probably contributing to his stress (that was Saipha's trigger, and her pica has improved a ton since I moved apartments and she no longer has to live in a room). Hopefully, if you manage to reduce his stress with extra playing with a wand toy or something, it may resolve to the point where you can let him out of that room.

Hope all this helps! Keep us updated on what works and what doesn't!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

toxicglowsticks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I have been so delayed in replying. A week later and $2,500 in vet bills, Cheese is finally home after emergency surgery. Crappy thing is, this is after multiple X-rays at the emergency vet, a successful barium test, more x-rays because he stopped eating, and finally surgery because the objects were stuck in the stomach and truly looked like food. All I can say is my vet is a savior because he would “forget” to include things on the bill, like the two overnight stays.

But thanks both of you for the replies! I will definitely have to look into the line of toys because I’m at a loss for toy ideas. He loves laser pointers, and I did get an automatic one. But it has since broke, so that is also on my potential toy list.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure it’s triggered by stress alone. Although it does get worse during stressful times (we think he has a touch of separation anxiety), but when there is weeks of no changes, he has been played with, I am home (Teacher with summers off), I can still turn around and find him chewing on something like a pillow. And the only thing that deters him is pure dish soap, which I rub on wires and whatever I can properly. Diluted dish soap sprayed, bitter sprays, apple vinegar, citrus, all seem like seasoning to him and does nothing. He can be pretty relentless. :hmmm:

I will admit that my husband and I did try slowly transitioning him out of his bedroom during summer when I was home and could watch him, but it was to no avail. Then we tried locking him in with us at night with the hopes that it would soothe the separation anxiety but he still found things to chew on. Even books are fair game. :doh:

Now I feel bad because it has personally caused me to feel so much anxiety that I’m terrified to leave our new kitten out at night. We have had her since the beginning of November and she’s still forced into the bathroom at night because she has the normal kitten “I need to see what this is by chewing on it” behavior.

Sorry.. now I’m just ranting. :lol:

I will definitely take a look at the articles. Hopefully there’s something there that can help! Thanks to both of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toxicglowsticks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the link! I got excited to see links to a behaviorist only to be disappointed that there were no registered behaviorists in Wisconsin. :hmmm:

It does give me the idea to try talking to my vet or asking around to see if anyone has a lead on a cat behaviorist once we get some of this vet debt paid off. I’d rather spend money on that than another surgery.

On the plus side, Cheesecurd slowly seems to be getting better. I took his cone off for awhile to let him get out of the room and wander, but unfortunately he started chewing on stitches.. so the cone had to go back on. :disappointed:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try cutting a pair of leggins to fit his body, or a tee shirt sleeve, if that would fit better. It will keep him off of his stitches more comforably than that dratted cone.