Issues with new cat

lvnoah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So I adopted a stray cat that was living in the parking lot of an apartment building.  The story is that the owner couldn't pay their rent and just left him outside.  We know he was fending for himself for at least 6 months. 

So he's been with us for a few months now and has settled in very well.  However, he loves roaming around.  I think the snow and coldness kept him near the house during the winter, but now that it's getting warmer, I'm scared he won't come home.  There have been many times that I've found him roaming the neighborhood and have had to bring him back. So far he has returned home every night, but it's been taking longer to get him in. 

There are also some other issues that make me worry.  First, this cat is super friendly and loves people.  Neighbors I've never met before have come up to me to tell me how friendly he is.  He will go with anyone.  Secondly, this cat is like a little monkey.  He loves running around on our roof, jumping on top of cars, walking on the rafters in the garage, etc.  I haven't had experience with a cat like this - all of our other cats are terrified of strangers and barely leave our yard. 

I was thinking about getting him microchipped or putting a break away collar on him but I'm not sure if either of those things are safe.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm scared to get too attached to him.   Thanks in advance for any ideas.   

Natalie

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, is he neutered? An unaltered male would definitely stray.There's no way to keep him inside? If not, get a collar that has your name and telephone number stitched right on it, you can get them on the internet. That would be the only way for people to know who he belongs to. If he stays mainly indoors, maybe you could supervise his outdoor time or pen him in. Bless you for caring for him, he's a lucky cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lvnoah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips!  He was already fixed when we got him, thank goodness!  At the very least, he's definitely gonna wear a collar. 

murr7maggiom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you can train him to like being indoors for his safety. Cats can be trained to a harness or jacket and leash. There are also creative ways to provide him a safe, outdoor enclosure. Google catios for ideas on do-it-yourself or companies that make them.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Microchip for SURE!

I'm not a fan of collars, but in a case like yours, I guess you do want people to know he belongs to someone.  And the only safe collar is a break-away one.  So think about if it DOES break away -you'll need the microchipping then.  There are many stories of cats being reunited with owners due to a microchip, and as far as I'm aware, they are completely safe.  My two are definately microchipped - actually, we have laws to ensure pet microchipping.

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, a microchip is highly recommendable for your cat.