Issues Post-spaying?

gillybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So our darling little Parsnip got the green light to go ahead with desexing a while ago, and we booked her in for this Thursday just gone. She went in Thursday morning, and came out that afternoon. She was quite adorable in her drugged up state, she wobbled everywhere and stared at a piece of toast purring for 20 minutes. The vets gave her a 3-day pain relief injection.

Unfortunately she was having trouble keeping her cone on, she's pretty smart at puzzles (especially if she gives us a headache by solving them) and no matter how tight we did it, she still wiggled out. So Friday morning we took her back to the vets where they created their own makeshift harness for her, and pointed out that during the night she'd had a go at some of her stitches, but all were still intact and internal, so it was all good.

The harness they made was pretty restrictive looking, they showed me how it was loose enough to not cause discomfort, but she walked in wobbles, was constantly looking up at the ceiling, couldn't figure out how to eat or drink, and she hasn't made a bowel movement since she came home. The makeshift harness was also incredibly complicated and I felt like I couldn't remove it to give her some supervised time without the cone, because there was no way in hell I was going to be able to recreate that monstrosity of knots.

So today is Saturday, and I went to the store and bought a leash-harness. I threaded the collar part through the cone and so far, so good. She hasn't gotten it off yet, but now I'm more worried about her behaviour. She's a pretty independent cat usually, doesn't want cuddles or pats unless they're on her terms. But it's been just over 48 hours since her surgery and she's still very lethargic and docile. If anything I'd say she's more lethargic than when she came home from surgery initially. She sleeps most of the day, and most of the night. She's still eating her regular amount of food, and I haven't seen her vomit. About an hour ago, my partners mother noticed her staring at the bedroom door, just sitting there and shaking. She moved to pat her, and she didn't move, just sat there and accepted the pats. She stopped shaking, and eventually we moved her into her favourite sleeping place and she's laid down for yet another nap. Her tail is often down and/or between her legs. I've been checking her eyes and ears for yellowing religiously but nothing yet.

I guess I'm a little worried because she's the second kitten of her litter to go for desexing, and both kittens (Her and her Brother) have had abnormal blood tests come back that indicate something not quite right with the liver. Neither vet was particularly concerned with it but her brother was consequently denied desexing because of it, and our vet said she had no worries and went ahead with the surgery for Parsnip anyway. And I know what it's like to have liver problems and trying to take pain-relief and how much more awful you feel seeing as the liver metabolizes that sort of stuff, so I'm just paranoid the liver problem might have something to do with it.

It's still pretty early after the surgery, so I'm not entirely sure when I've got the green light to panic yet. Our vets aren't open on the weekends, but we do have an animal hospital nearby (that charges an arm and a leg) so we're not entirely without options.
Can anyone tell me whether this is all normal or not? D:
Kitty-in-a-cone pictures for love!
20170428_102706.jpg
20170427_190408.jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello G gillybby .. Parsnip is adorable! :lovecat2:
I think the lethargy, staring, and spaciness, you are seeing, is due to the pain injection medication.
Especially, if it is a 3-day, slow release med.

If Parsnip is still eating, drinking water, and using her litterbox, then I would not worry.

But in the future, you might want to opt for the choice of daily pain meds versus injections, so that you can control the amount, and taper them down, if you see any strong side effects.
On monday, just call your Vet, and ask them to make a note in Parsnip's medical chart, so that they know what happened, how much med was given, and the name of it. She might just be sensitive to it.

You should be able to take her cone off, when she has to eat, but still supervise her, especially if she likes to run off after eating and hide somewhere.
Here's an Article on cones and cats: The Cat Cone: A Complete Owner's Guide
(the first few links have photos that are not showing any more, but the rest are. It at least gives you different ideas.)

:wink: (Parsnip might look a little ticked, in that first photo, and a little miserable in the 2nd,...but just tell her that it won't be for too long. And tell her that she looks cute, either way.) :bluepaw: :loveeyes: :biggrin:

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few members here have mentioned that they used onesies (sp?) on their cats with stitches. You can do a search for the thread. It's a better option than a cone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gillybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my God a onsie, that's a brilliant idea!

We ended up taking her into the emergency vet on Saturday night, when I looked at her stitches they seemed odd to me so I took her in just in case. From when I checked to the time we were seen, the stitches had festered, opened and were weeping pus. So we literally got her in at the best time, she also had a temp of 39.5, which the vet said was probably why she was so lethargic. They flushed the site, stapled it shut, gave her a dose of antibiotics and told us to come back in Sunday (today). Skip to today, it looks like it's still weeping but the vet says it's much more pink than yesterday, and her temp has gone down to 39.3 which isn't much but still an improvement. We need to take her in tomorrow as well, if the antibiotics are working then her temp should have come down a lot by then. If not, then they're going to have to look at opening up the site to figure out what's going on in there.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor Parsnip.
Good on you, for noticing the incision site not looking right, opening and weeping pus.
Sending her mega health vibes for a quick recovery from any infection. :vibes::vibes::caticon:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gillybby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*Sigh* Went back in for the second checkup today, her temp has gone back up to 39.4 and the incision site isn't healing.
They gave us a second round of different antibiotics that are in tablet form, and recommended us to call our local vet that did the surgery first thing in the morning to try and get her in. It's not urgent, she's still pretty normal in behaviour and the site isn't gaping open. They think it might either be a reaction to the stitches or they just might need to use fresh skin after that first initial infection.

Now I just have to pray that they have enough space to do something with her tomorrow or see her as urgent enough to push things around :nervous:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping that your Parsnip is doing better. (not sure with all the time zone differences, if she has already been seen, by your regular vet.) I would have just told them that you had gone to ER several times, and were very worried about her fever, and incision site. They'd probably get a report faxed from the ER, anyhow, so they'd know it was urgent.

It does take a day or two, for antibiotics to work, so hoping that she's doing better, and is well hydrated, too.
Maybe, adding water bowls all over the place, or trying to syringe or eye-dropper some water, will help her feel better.
Continued Health vibes for your cute Parsnip. :vibes::vibes::blackcat: :bluepaw: