Issue With Older Cat Getting Used To Kittens/long Post

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I will give you a little backstory to my situation. I have a Chloe, 12 yr old female Mainecoon and Ranger, 10 yr old Mainecoon mix. I have had Chloe since she was weeks old. I adopted Ranger at 9 months. Chloe did not do well with the introduction of Ranger and she ended up becoming very angry and stopped eating. I had to bring her to the vet for fluids and medication. When I bring them to the vet, usually together, Ranger will become very aggressive towards Chloe when we get home and I usually have to separate them for a day and keep an eye on Ranger. This usually lasts about a week. I have the calming spray and diffusers that I plug in before we go to the vet. Fast forward to a few weeks before Christmas. I fell in love with these 2 adorable kitten brothers and I emailed the adoption place and put in a request. I ended up adopting them and they are just precious! I will send pictures soon. These kittens, who are now called Flash and Wyatt, come from a foster home where their were other kittens and cats and even a dog! They are comfortable around other animals. When I brought them home their was a lot of hissing and spitting going on and it didn't look good. I have been separating them by a gate when it comes to feeding time and sometimes when I go out. Ranger is getting a little better, he has good days and bad days. He gets angry at them because I wont let him eat their food so he will lash out at them. I am planning on getting a squirt bottle. Chloe who is the quiet one would just hiss at them and then walk away. I have noticed since yesterday that she is sleeping a lot more and not really eating her food. Today she even hissed at me and that is NOT like her at all. I am afraid that she is getting sick again like she did when I brought Ranger home. I don't know if it will be a good idea to bring her to the vet because I don't want Ranger to become aggressive towards her like he does when I bring one or both to the vet. I am starting to get very overwhelmed and I am not sure what I should do? I don't want to have any angry sick kitties at home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought Chloe to the vet this morning because she just wasn't acting like herself. They said she has a temp of 103 and a little dehydrated. They gave her fluids, antibiotic shot that will last 7 days and took some blood. They want to make sure her pancreas is not inflamed and to check her platelet count and do a "smear", which shows better results of the platelet than what a machine would tell them. The vet is not sure if the fever is from a virus or inflammation. Chloe has a low platelet count and I was dealing with another vet on it and she was just a moron. So I ended up going back to the vet that I used to see before I switched. I am waiting for the vet to call me with the results. I feel like I let her down when I adopted the 2 kittens. I love the kittens and I would not want to give them back. Its just an overwhelming situation when you introduce 2 kittens to 2 older cats.

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Chloe is very sick and the vet thinks its pancreatitis. I feel like I am at the vet every day. I have to bring her back tomorrow for more fluids, pain meds and a shot to help stimulate her appetite. I think I am in shock right now. Please pray for my little girl.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she recovers! My cat recently had that and he was given pain meds plus a anti-nausea medication. (He died from other things.) The medications helped him be more comfortable. I stopped the daily IV after 2 days because he was eating/drinking/pooing. I was told that supportive care is all they can do for pancreatitis. How much and how long you and your vet try with your girl is up to you.

I sincerely hope she makes a full recovery! I hope that if not her last days will be more comfortable.

:vibes::grouphug:
:hangin:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista made a full recovery with pancreatitis. I mean as full as we can possibly know without a biopsy since I guess it's hard to see pancreatitis or scarring on an ultrasound.

It was a lot of supportive medicine, weekly B-12, and a highly digestible, high protein, moderate fat, and low to no carb diet. I fed Krista wet food only because dry would have taxed her gut and pancreas too much. Dry food has the wrong macronutrient balance (too much carbs), not enough moisture, and it comes out of the stomach too high a pH. I kept a food journal for her and employed whatever treat or bribe it took to get her to eat including and especially more frequent smaller meals. Some meals I sat with her for almost an hour hand feeding her one bite and one bribe at a time until I could record a half ounce. Then we'd try again later for another half ounce.

Pancreatitis doesn't have to be a death sentence diagnosis. But it will take a lot of support, patience, and persisitence to recover.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask for the "Spec fPLI" blood test to confirm pancreatitis. It will be much cheaper than an ultrasound and probably a lot more accurate. Pancreatitis doesn't always show up on an ultrasound. If the vet suspects pancreatitis, ask for a B-12 shot to go with the fluids and meds tomorrow. B-12 is safe enough that if she doesn't need it, it will be harmlessly excreted in her urine. But if she does need it, it can be so helpful and so essential.

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my vet is pretty sure Chloe has pancreatitis and gave her fluids, med for nausea, med for pain. They did an ultrasound and found that her pancreas is inflammed, gall bladder enlarged and liver shrunk. They did also take blood and test her fPLI. It came back very high and that confirmed pancreatitis. I also paid $300 for this blood test that tests an array of diseases and illnesses. I haven't gotten the results back yet.
I also want to add that I adopted 2 male brother kittens that are 4months old. I adopted them December 8th, so they haven't been with me long. Chloe is 12 years 10 months old and was not to thrilled to have them here. I hope that they didn't stress her out to the point of getting sick. That would break my heart! Chloe did show signs of eye discharge this afternoon and she sneezed once.
I love her to death but I can't see getting her a feeding tube, she would be miserable. The vet gave me a prescription food for her to eat. Hills I/D wet and dry. She has eaten a little of the dry and had a very loose smelly stool this evening.
It's been very overwhelming with a sick cat, 2wild kittens and 1 jealous nasty boy cat. Now 1 of the kittens just swatted my Chloe!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my vet is pretty sure Chloe has pancreatitis and gave her fluids, med for nausea, med for pain. They did an ultrasound and found that her pancreas is inflammed, gall bladder enlarged and liver shrunk. They did also take blood and test her fPLI. It came back very high and that confirmed pancreatitis. I also paid $300 for this blood test that tests an array of diseases and illnesses. I haven't gotten the results back yet.
I also want to add that I adopted 2 male brother kittens that are 4months old. I adopted them December 8th, so they haven't been with me long. Chloe is 12 years 10 months old and was not to thrilled to have them here. I hope that they didn't stress her out to the point of getting sick. That would break my heart! Chloe did show signs of eye discharge this afternoon and she sneezed once.
I love her to death but I can't see getting her a feeding tube, she would be miserable. The vet gave me a prescription food for her to eat. Hills I/D wet and dry. She has eaten a little of the dry and had a very loose smelly stool this evening.
It's been very overwhelming with a sick cat, 2wild kittens and 1 jealous nasty boy cat. Now 1 of the kittens just swatted my Chloe!
I don't know that I would feed dry food for pancreatitis recovery. You want high protein (for recovery and repairs), moderate fat (for energy), low to no carbohydrates (these are not required in a cat's diet.) There are just too many carbohydrates in dry food. The pancreas is responsible for producing digestive enzymes. Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. It's already overworked and carbs would ask it to work harder since cats already have low levels of amylase (the carb-breaking enzyme.) The loose smelly stool is likely bile and fat mixed with a whole mess of undigested carbohydrates. Actually those carbohydrates feed the wrong kinds of intestinal bacteria and that loose smelly stool is the fermentation product. If you feed the wrong bacteria, they will starve the right bacteria causing a gut flora imbalance.

Yeah. Just skip the dry food for Chloe right now.

Another note I have from experience with this. Vets prescribe Cerenia as an anti-nausea drug. But that's not quite right. It's an anti-emetic. It will stop the vomiting. It also has anti-inflammatory action. But it may not be treating the nausea. Some cats, like my Krista, are even anorexic on Cerenia. If Chloe is on Cerenia and she's still not eating, you may ask your vet about adding an anti-nausea and mentioning Cerenia and anorexia. Mirtazapine can be a very effective appetite stimulant with some alarming side effects: restlessness and increased vocalizations. It's not nicknamed "meowzapine" for nothing! These can be minimized by lowering the dose. I give Krista 1/2 the dose she was originally prescribed. If Chloe has a strong reaction to mirtazapine, ask about lowering her dose. It may take a bit of trial and error and consulting with the vet and relaying Chloe's experiences to sort out the prescriptions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that the kittens didn't bring all this about, I don't think you having them is at fault.
Can you give Chloe her own room?

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know that I would feed dry food for pancreatitis recovery. You want high protein (for recovery and repairs), moderate fat (for energy), low to no carbohydrates (these are not required in a cat's diet.) There are just too many carbohydrates in dry food. The pancreas is responsible for producing digestive enzymes. Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. It's already overworked and carbs would ask it to work harder since cats already have low levels of amylase (the carb-breaking enzyme.) The loose smelly stool is likely bile and fat mixed with a whole mess of undigested carbohydrates. Actually those carbohydrates feed the wrong kinds of intestinal bacteria and that loose smelly stool is the fermentation product. If you feed the wrong bacteria, they will starve the right bacteria causing a gut flora imbalance.

Yeah. Just skip the dry food for Chloe right now.

She is eating the wet food that I would normally feed her. Its Purina Pro Plan Focus weight management. I wont give her any dry food. She is doing better this morning. She is up and about and eating and drinking. She is still having foul smelling diarrhea. She has an appointment with the vet at 12;20 today.

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another note I have from experience with this. Vets prescribe Cerenia as an anti-nausea drug. But that's not quite right. It's an anti-emetic. It will stop the vomiting. It also has anti-inflammatory action. But it may not be treating the nausea. Some cats, like my Krista, are even anorexic on Cerenia. If Chloe is on Cerenia and she's still not eating, you may ask your vet about adding an anti-nausea and mentioning Cerenia and anorexia. Mirtazapine can be a very effective appetite stimulant with some alarming side effects: restlessness and increased vocalizations. It's not nicknamed "meowzapine" for nothing! These can be minimized by lowering the dose. I give Krista 1/2 the dose she was originally prescribed. If Chloe has a strong reaction to mirtazapine, ask about lowering her dose. It may take a bit of trial and error and consulting with the vet and relaying Chloe's experiences to sort out the prescriptions.
Chloe hasn't had any issues with the mirtazapine and she is getting a pill when I bring her to the vet or when we are home I have cream to put on her ear. I refuse to pill her because she is 12 and I have never had to pill her since I have had her. I will mention the cerenia and ask the vet about it. What does your vet give your fur baby for nausea?

beth45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking that the kittens didn't bring all this about, I don't think you having them is at fault.
Can you give Chloe her own room?
I have been keeping her in my bedroom and I have a gate to block off the doorway. She has wanted to go out and explore the rest of the apartment so I am letting her. She is not bothered by Flash and Wyatt but it also could be because she is still not feeling well. She is going to the Vet today at 12:20 to get checked.