Is Wysong Uretic Okay For Cats Without Urinary Problems?

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My six kitties get almost entirely grain free wet food, but they all get some dry in varying degrees, because actually all of them like dry better, and because if we go away our cat sitter can only come for one meal a day and they all eat two.

Currently when my only cat with past urinary issues does have dry food, it's Hills Rx c/d, unfortunately (I know it's garbage, but it works). The other adults eat Natural Balance limited ingredient when they have dry food. I'm looking to get out of the whole Rx thing, and also to have just one dry food all the adults can eat, if safe for all involved.

For the record, two of the others at one time years ago had some crystals, but never blocked and I got them off the foods (wet) they were on at that time and it resolved and did not return.

I have issues with the ingredients in almost all dry foods, but after researching a lot I think I could live with giving them Wysong Uretic.

So the question is, would Wysong Uretic be appropriate for all of my adult kitties, in small quantities (and while still feeding them primarily wet food)? :headscratch:

For reference, here are the ingredients in the Wysong Uretic. It's not my ideal (and nothing that's close to being affordable is my ideal), and there's totally unnecessary vegetation, but no fish, and it's got a really good protein percentage (42%) so I'm guessing the actual amounts of vegetation must be fairly small.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Meat Protein Isolate, Potato Protein, Brown Rice, Peas, Chicken Fat, Flaxseeds, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Sesame Seeds, Cheese, Eggs, Whey, DL-Methionine, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Tomato Pomace, Calcium Propionate, Cranberry Extract, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Coconut Oil, Organic Barley Grass, Blueberry, Dried Kelp, Yogurt (Whey, Milk Solids, Yogurt Cultures), Citric Acid, Apple Pectin, Fish Oil, Yeast Extract, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Chicory Root, Hemicellulose Extract, Yeast Culture, Carrots, Celery, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid [source of Vitamin C], Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Pepper.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone will post if im wrong...but you want to look at Analysis, not only at the ingredients. Calcium%, phosphorus% and magnesium% is important...it must be low in special urinary diet because its mostly made of grains? but these diets lack proteins from meat.
Could you feed your cat with urinary problem only wet food and still give some dry to the others?

Can you post the Analysis of your Wysong food? we could compare it to other complete grain free food and see the difference.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess what my question comes down to is whether it's okay to feed cats without urinary problems food that contains (as its 15th ingredient) DL-Methionine, in quite small amounts, but on a fairly regular basis. Wysong Uretic is pretty clearly better than the Hills Rx c/d that Quincy (urinary boy) would otherwise eat on the occasions when he does get dry food, so it's definitely appropriate at least for him. Based on both reviews and ingredients, it should be safe for him.

The Wysong Uretic is mostly meat/meat protein, with non-meat ingredients not beginning until the fourth ingredient, and at least that is potato protein and not potato. I'm definitely no fan of fruit and veggies in cat food, but it almost seems like it's impossible to avoid them (at least in quality brand dry foods) without getting outrageously priced food.

Quincy (urinary boy) normally does get only wet food (Dave's Restricted Magnesium & Phosphorus) for meals. The dry is for a treat (because he loves it) and also for one meal a day when we are away as we haven't found a good solution for feeding wet unattended. Our cat sitter when we're away can only come one time a day.

The analysis on the Wysong Uretic on their website is as follows:
  • Crude Protein (min.)42%
  • Crude Fat (min.)15%
  • Crude Fiber (max.)5.0%
  • Moisture (max.)10%
  • Taurine (min.)0.2%
  • Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.)2.9%
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min.)1.2%
And then in addition to that info, there is some more on the Chewy website in the Q&A section:
On a dry matter basis -
Ash 9.9%
Magnesium 0.1%
Phosphorus 0.9%

I could probably get calcium info if I asked on the Chewy website, but have not done so yet.