Is Wilson Grooming too much?

monicawilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cleveland, Ohio (The mistake on the lake)
I have had my cat, Wilson, since he was about a year old. He was a rescue cat. My girlfriend at the time convinced me to get a full grown cat as opposed to a kitten because she assured me the the kittens at the shelter would have a way easier time finding homes and I agreed. So from the moment we went into the visiting room with Wilson he was just a sweetie!

I have had him for about 3 years now and he LOVES to groom himself. He doesn't have any bald or "hot spots" and never has, but I see him doing this long grooming routine at least twice a day and I am sure he does it more than that because I am not home all the time. He likes to lay on my stomach or chest while he grooms as well, as when I am on my computer I am laying on my back sort of half propped up on the couch he is usually snuggling with me. 

Is he grooming too much? I read that as long as he doesn't have "hot spots" he's fine and I have never seen them on him at all. I just want to make sure this is normal. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is no sign of thinning in his coat then no, he isn't grooming too much.  You don't say what sort of coat he has - some take more upkeep than others. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are meticulous groomers. I will find my shorthair cats grooming themselves 4 - 6 times a day, and those are just the times I see. I know longhair cats will groom themselves even more because it's a necessity. Like you said, no hotspots, so that means he is grooming himself just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monicawilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cleveland, Ohio (The mistake on the lake)
Yeah he's a short hair, that's him in my avatar, I snapped that picture at random once and thought it was way cute LoL! Anyway yeah no thinning or anything, and I give him stuff to make sure he doesn't get bad hair balls, but thanks for the info!