Is Transitioning Necessary if Kitten Loves Raw Food?

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I introduced one of my 8 month old kittens to raw food (ground chicken meat/bones/organs from Hare Today) and she immediately LOVED it. Like she was addicted to it right away like a drug. Problem is now she barely wants to touch the canned food that they’re currently eating. I was hoping to take at least a week to transition them off the canned and onto the raw, but is that truly necessary if she loves the raw food already so much?

I know that transitioning is generally important as to not upset their stomachs when introducing a new food in the case from one wet food to another wet food, but does that same reasoning stay true when getting them to eat raw food, since that’s the food that’s the most biologically appropriate food? Or is the process of transitioning to raw only to get them to actually enjoy the food, which she already does?

because if it’s truly not necessary to transition if she already loves it...I’d be more than happy to just give her full raw food meals starting now.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If she loves it that much, I'd say go ahead. Eight months is young enough that her digestive system will probably adjust quickly. Just be aware that her poops might be a little off for a little while. lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, since she loves it and isn't having digestive issues, I think you're fine to feed it to her without trying to force her to eat the commercial canned.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
She will probably get the runs if you transition too quickly.

I will just add that you may still need some supplements to add to the hare today grinds depending on what you’re feeding. Are you following a recipe?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She will probably get the runs if you transition too quickly.

I will just add that you may still need some supplements to add to the hare today grinds depending on what you’re feeding. Are you following a recipe?
Yeah I’m using Alnutrin for grinds w/ bones and adding fish oil. I’m thinking of giving them probiotics too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, since she loves it and isn't having digestive issues, I think you're fine to feed it to her without trying to force her to eat the commercial canned.
Thank you, I will say that she has a history of chronic diarrhea/loose stools. But that pretty much resolved when I completely removed dry food from their diets.