is this true? about neuteured males

tremblinblustar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that they put implants in so they think they have balls. i don't understand the process. my male cat was neuteured but there is still balls back there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i dont know for sure .. but for humans they snipes the "line" not remove anything

mollydoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw this on some tv show about pampered pets or something like that. I think they were talking about dogs though.

They interviewed this doctor who does surgerys for animals that help improve their quality of life. He said that he had been approached about doing this, for dogs i think, but he refused.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tremblinblustar

my male cat was neuteured but there is still balls back there.
If he's neutered there shouldn't be any balls there, I have heard that sometimes the operation is incomplete though.

neuticles.com is a website that sells the implants.

mollydoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dunno, Silas and Ninja both have little....um...bulges?...back there. It was different than when my parents got their boy dogs nuetered.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is something I asked the vet about after Jamie was neutered, as I was used to the "radical approach". Anyway, I was told that not all the tissue is removed, so it does appear as if a little something is in the scrotum.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard they do that for some horses sometimes. I suppose a gelding might be treated differently in a herd then a stallion. Something tells me it's more for the owners guilt then the animals sense of self though.

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they took the sac off of my boy. There's nothing left back there either.

I used to work for a vet's office. It's basically a clip and snip procedure. I've also helped out at a cattle ranch during round-up; that wasn't at all humane...flip and slice, not very nice.

I've heard of some vets using a new procedure akin to a vasectomy on animals. Seems kinda silly to me.

siameeeeeeze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is being neutered next wednesday, so thats really interesting to see the procedure!
I cant believe some of them have implants!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps what you see is the scrotum. Usually only the testicles are removed through a small incision and the scrotum is left intact. It the surgery is done well after the cat is sexually mature, the scrotum will be larger.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siameeeeeeze

My cat is being neutered next wednesday, so thats really interesting to see the procedure!
I cant believe some of them have implants!
I imagine no Dr. is going to do implants unless the owner specifically asks for it.
And even then, I imagine most Drs. don't do the procedure. I mean, I know the procedure can be done, but no vet will do it unless the owner wants it done and pays for it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by random

I've heard of some vets using a new procedure akin to a vasectomy on animals. Seems kinda silly to me.
That would be very silly IMO.
Pet overpopulation is secondary to me when I get my animals fixed, their health is my primary concern.
If a vasectomy were performed, and the testes left intact, then the very real risk of testicular cancer is still a threat.

My males have their scrotum intact, we call it their coin purse, since it's just an empty sack now.
I think, because of the way cats develop, and that their testes descend earlier, the scrotal skin stretches into the sack that's there now. This is likely why a lot of neutered males appear to still be fully equipped.
With my dog, he has no sack at all, but dog's testes descend later, given a chance to neuter before the skin has stretched and formed.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tremblinblustar

that they put implants in so they think they have balls. i don't understand the process. my male cat was neuteured but there is still balls back there.
Well, there is such a thing they call Neuticles. Silicon implants if the owner want's the male to still "look like a male". I saw this in a documentary. The vet also said that only men request Neuticles... big surprise

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

Well, there is such a thing they call Neuticles. Silicon implants if the owner want's the male to still "look like a male". I saw this in a documentary. The vet also said that only men request Neuticles... big surprise
My immediate thought was that if one of the "neuticle"'d cats got out and roamed for some reason or other (fixing doesnt kill curiosity, after all), someone would think it was intact and take it to have it fixed. Imagine the look on a vet's face when he went to remove the nards and found clear silicone testis. (laughs)

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hee hee i have heard of implants for dogs, but never for cats! purely human silliness, IMO.