Is this shedding season?

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems to me it's not til mid-spring or summer, but Buddy is pumping out the cat hair. My mixed bristle hairbrush is being overwhelmed. Just now bought a cat brush off eBay, and Google research uncovered the rubber glove trick for pulling cat hair off clothing or rugs...which somewhat works for pulling cat hair off the cat.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it is getting to be shedding season! Isn't it?

Seasonal molting or shedding occurs in response to temperature changes AND the length of the day. Since we just switched to Daylight Saving time, I would expect shedding to start very soon, if not already.

Our cat, Casper, is a totally indoor cat and even he sheds in the spring. When we pet him while he is shedding it often causes a "fur storm!" However, he's a shorthair so it doesn't last long.

The first time we vacuumed the carpets in the house after we adopted Casper, it clogged up the vacuum cleaner with fur. I was pulling out gobs and gobs of fur and, finally, I said, "My God! There's enough fur in here to make another whole cat!" :D

We ended up buying a new sweeper because of it! :eek:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it is getting to be shedding season! Isn't it?

Seasonal molting or shedding occurs in response to temperature changes AND the length of the day. Since we just switched to Daylight Saving time, I would expect shedding to start very soon, if not already.

Our cat, Casper, is a totally indoor cat and even he sheds in the spring. When we pet him while he is shedding it often causes a "fur storm!" However, he's a shorthair so it doesn't last long.

The first time we vacuumed the carpets in the house after we adopted Casper, it clogged up the vacuum cleaner with fur. I was pulling out gobs and gobs of fur and, finally, I said, "My God! There's enough fur in here to make another whole cat!" :D

We ended up buying a new sweeper because of it! :eek:
I was unaware shedding happens this early. Thought it started around mid April, so was caught unprepared. How is the new sweeper doing? Good enough to recommend the brand/model number? My Shop-Vac seems fairly powerful, but not really doing much. Been looking into it, and found this:

I'll be trying some of these tricks. Buddy is licking himself all the time, so I'm now brushing him after every meal. He is obsessed with my hairbrush, and I'm obsessed with no hairballs/vomit. Hopefully the cat hairbrush will arrive soon.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vacuum we use is a Bissel PowerLifter, upright with removable dirt container.
We bought it at Walmart. Given that we had just killed one sweeper, clogging it up with cat fur, we weren't keen on spending a lot of $$ just to have the next one die a horrible, furry death. As I remember, it was one of the models advertised for picking up pet hair. It had pictures of dogs and cats on the box, IIRC.

The trick, if there is one, is to empty the dirt canister, EVERY TIME you use it. Clean the filters regularly and pick the hair out of the underside.

The old one died because hair got balled up in the works and brought the rotating brush to a standstill. The whole thing overheated and melted all the plastic bearings. It was toast! ;)

I suppose a shop-vac would be a good thing to use. It has a large dirt compartment. If you have more than one or two pets, that might be a good feature.

The only things I can think of to look out for would be, as you say, suction power and a brush to pick up hair from fabric.

If you got a good, industrial model instead of a cheapo, Walmart brand and got a good brush attachment, I'd say that you would do as well as the one we bought.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long live the furminator! I use my mom’s on the weekend when we visit.

About the vacuum: I have yet to find a vacuum that isn’t killed by litter. So I gave up and just started buying cheap vacuums. So if it dies in a year or two, no big deal!

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long live the furminator! I use my mom’s on the weekend when we visit.

About the vacuum: I have yet to find a vacuum that isn’t killed by litter. So I gave up and just started buying cheap vacuums. So if it dies in a year or two, no big deal!
The ShopVac does great with litter (and vomit), even being close to ten years old...unfortunately it's pretty useless with getting fur out of cheap wall-to-wall carpet....and only slightly better at pulling my hair out. It has the power, but not the ability. I'm going to need to get a vacuum made for pet hair eventually.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vacuum we use is a Bissel PowerLifter, upright with removable dirt container.
We bought it at Walmart. Given that we had just killed one sweeper, clogging it up with cat fur, we weren't keen on spending a lot of $$ just to have the next one die a horrible, furry death. As I remember, it was one of the models advertised for picking up pet hair. It had pictures of dogs and cats on the box, IIRC.

The trick, if there is one, is to empty the dirt canister, EVERY TIME you use it. Clean the filters regularly and pick the hair out of the underside.

The old one died because hair got balled up in the works and brought the rotating brush to a standstill. The whole thing overheated and melted all the plastic bearings. It was toast! ;)

I suppose a shop-vac would be a good thing to use. It has a large dirt compartment. If you have more than one or two pets, that might be a good feature.

The only things I can think of to look out for would be, as you say, suction power and a brush to pick up hair from fabric.

If you got a good, industrial model instead of a cheapo, Walmart brand and got a good brush attachment, I'd say that you would do as well as the one we bought.
So I assume this one is actually pulling hair out of carpet? Google search uncovers four models of Bissell Powerlifter ~ 1309, 1309C, 1793, and 2260. If it is relatively easy to find, could you check your model number? If yours is working, I will try to track one down, and fit it into the budget ASAP. Thanks for the tip!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's ramping up at my house. Ailish sheds from Aprilish to September. Last fall I never thought it would stop. I brush every day because she pretty much doesn't tolerate much hair in the stomach. None of those big hairball logs for her. During shedding if I miss a couple days brushing, up it comes. If I don't miss, no vomit. As we say at my house, "Hair in the brush, not in the stomach." Thankfully, she loves to be brushed and will demand it.