Is This Rough Play or Aggression?

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some advice on whether what I'm seeing is aggression between my two cats or just rough play.

I have 3 year old spayed female (Emily) and 6 weeks ago adopted an 18 month neutered male (Goblin). I followed the suggested guidelines for cat introductions on this site and initially things were going well. After 2 weeks they both snoozed on my lap as I watched TV. Since then things have gone downhill. Individually they are both quite timid, but Goblin is very playful (he's a teenager after all). As he has grown in confidence, he has become quite territorial. For example, if Emily is on my lap, he will jump up and she runs away. He then gets down as he isn't really a lap cat. He just doesn't like it when she is getting my attention.

Most of the time, they spend their days in different parts of the house. They do eat near each other without drama. I have three play sessions with them - before breakfast, before dinner and before their bedtime snack. These are mainly me playing with Goblin while Emily watches. This is the only time they interact. During these sessions their ears are forward, they aren't fluffed up, they aren't keeping close to the ground, there is little fur (Goblin is a long-haired cat so he is always shedding some) and definitely no yowling or blood. However, there is much tail lashing .

During these session Goblin will often stalk and pounce on Emily. She then squawks (understandably) and runs away. He chases her around and there is hissing (on her part) and swiping at each other. Emily never chases him. I can usually distract him with a toy but sometimes he just gets too riled up and won't leave her alone. I then will put in a room by himself until he calms down. Emily will sometimes go away when he is in seclusion but sometimes she hangs around until I let him out and play resumes.

So, are their interactions playful (although rougher than Emily likes) or is it aggression? I'm worried it is aggression and poor Emily is having a miserable time. Should I keep doing what I'm doing (distracting and/or separating them) when it seems to be too much or should I just leave them to it?

They are both eating normally and using the litter boxes.

Thanks
Barbara

Scamille

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the exact same problem with my 2 cats. The male is very territorial and acts like he doesn't want my female cat to come near me. And they've lived together for over 12 yrs. He only acts like that when I'm around, otherwise they get along fine. It can be a problem sometimes but I think we just all got used to him. I mean what can we do?! He's not going anywhere lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B bfls - even cats that like each other can have trouble playing side by side. Six weeks isn't very long, and there is a chance they will do better over time. However, I don't think the play sessions will help with that given how they are going. I would probably change the routine, and allow them to do their own thing. They might surprise you in time.

I think the one cat is playing, but if it is stressing the other cat out, then it isn't really moving things forward, so I don't see a point in you pushing the joint play sessions.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
B bfls - even cats that like each other can have trouble playing side by side. Six weeks isn't very long, and there is a chance they will do better over time. However, I don't think the play sessions will help with that given how they are going. I would probably change the routine, and allow them to do their own thing. They might surprise you in time.

I think the one cat is playing, but if it is stressing the other cat out, then it isn't really moving things forward, so I don't see a point in you pushing the joint play sessions.
I'm definitely not trying to have joint play sessions. I generally try to have separate play and cuddle sessions for each cat.

However, Emily tends to follow Goblin and me around when the two of us are playing, which is why I think she may not be as freaked out as I think. In fact, today she rushed over and pounced on the toy, which startled Goblin so much he ran away.

Who knows how things will be in another 6 weeks. Cats just work to their own timetable.