Is This Really A Russian Blue?

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=120552863

The cat is 1.5 years old, and seems to have yellowish eyes. Surely it's old enough to be mostly green by now? Are there any other indicators of it not being pure?

Thanks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call that cat a blue domestic shorthair. The body shape seems too rounded and stocky for a Russian Blue. If you want a purebred Russian Blue I would encourage you to attend a cat show and talk to a breeder there. Or check for registered Russian Blue breeders. Buy a cat online from an unknown party is a sure way too pay premium dollar for a lookalike cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A visible pic would be nice.
Try with copy pic and paste.

finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=120552863

The cat is 1.5 years old, and seems to have yellowish eyes. Surely it's old enough to be mostly green by now? Are there any other indicators of it not being pure?

Thanks

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit—- so sorry I posted in the wrong thread and meant to post in another one asking about Russian blues!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Or do you mean direct image instead of link to ad? ok

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx. That was better! The cat could be politely called for a RB of pet quality. Esp pic 2 is OK. But most probably its a blue domestic. Unless the cats has all paperwork, count is for a domestic.

The adresse is to a norwegian sale site. Are you in Norway? The Norwegian RB are overall of good quality, very few pet qualitys there... And as I know, no BYB´s.
I know, our studs did sired at least two litters with norwegian wifes... :)

Kiekas answer is good. If you want a real purebred RB, do contact a breeder or several of them.
If money are tight and you dont afford to pay what it costs for a healthy kitten (1500+ dollars)
there are some other possibilities.
Contacting these breeders you hear carefully if they know of say, some retired queen or sire, whom the breeder is willing to sell to a good home.
Or some kitten whom come back - perhaps the first buyer got allergic. (few are allergic to RB, but it may happen). Such an older kitten is difficult to sell for full price.
Do not openly ask if they have a pet quality kittens. None breeder wants to this way to admit they are producing pet quality kittens. But they DO occasionally happen, even among scandinavian RB! So tell just you want a real RB as your home cat. You dont have any ambition to breed. Perhaps some occasionally Exhibition in the castrathed class, if the cat and breeder are happy with it... The cat will be fully insuranced, and taken well care off. BUT cash money is a limit, you dont afford to buy a kitten for the full price.
And hear if it takes the bait. :)

Sometimes RB are annonsed, In the Swedish Blocket (blocket.se) I have seen some now and then. Some even legitimate RB. Why, I even once saw one of our norwegian grandgrandchildren there...
Also the cat clubs have often a side for purebreed cats seeking a new home. Owners are perhaps moving abroad....

If you are happy with a look alike, the field is of course wider. Look to the shelters around... The swedish shelter organization Kattkommando Syd is very big, and has their cats online. I believe they are willing to help with transportation, if they do have a creditable buyer / adopter.

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - russian blues can look a little heavier than they are because of the thick fur, that said this cat really looks a bit more round face and neck than I would expect. Also tail looks a little short. Nice looking coat (on the dark side) and yes at that age the eyes will have 'settled' they do look yellowish but always hard to tell in photos. Two other rb traits are mauve paw pads and a flat nose profile. Here are photos of Niki who is about 18 months now showing those two things (and her long tail)
View media item 420486View media item 419297View media item 420739