Is This Play Or Fighting?

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back in August, I saw a post about a kitten that needed a home, and fell in love with her. I brought her home, and have been giving her lots of love and care ever since.
A week after I brought home Sheridan, my landlord knocked on my door. When I opened it, he shoved a tiny little kitten in my arms and told me she had just been found outside. And that's how I got Serenity. After all, who can say no to an itty bitty little fluffball?
Sheridan and Serenity didn't get along at first, but now they are best friends. They sleep together, eat together, play together, follow me around together... you get the picture.
The issue comes in with my newest kitten, rescued from a man that was going to drown her. I've named her Sabrina, she is maybe two months old. And about half the size of Serenity, who is half the size of Sheridan. They are getting along... I think. It's hard to tell, because Sabrina just keeps going back for more. Sheridan and Serenity will wrestle with her, Chase her, play with her. But Serenity usually has her ears Back, so even though there is no hissing, very little growling, and no injury, it's hard for me to tell if she is just playing.
And they will gang up on her too, which I don't like.
Are they playing, or should I be worried? I keep their claws clipped, just in case.

burningbright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try stroking them all at the same time together to demonstrate you love them all equally. Cats, like dogs, are prone to the green envy syndrome so the other two might be worried you don't love them as much and are jealous.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say playing if it was fighting you would know they hiss spit scream and it's quiet the show my boys are 1year and 13weeks they rough house daily and love it. I tried to separate it at first and they would run right back to each other like it was fun just make sure they get equal attention they will most likely grow up very close

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try stroking them all at the same time together to demonstrate you love them all equally. Cats, like dogs, are prone to the green envy syndrome so the other two might be worried you don't love them as much and are jealous.
I definitely see jealousy amongst them. Lol they all fight over who claims the highest spot on my body. XD Right now, Sheridan is laying on my chest knocking Sabrina down every time she tries to get on my shoulder. I try to give them all individual and group snuggles and lovings. <3

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you're right and its just playing. Serenity has always been a bit of a scaredy cat, so I'm a little worried that she is scared of Sabrina. And when both my older two gang up on her, it's truly worrisome.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yah I wouldn't like that either it might be bc the older 2 are the veterans of the castle taking a dominant role but they are still pretty young once the baby gets closer to them in size that might stop they all just have to find there individual role in the house

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 can always be a funny number just like with humans somebody always ends up 3rd wheel until everybody really gets comfortable

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It scares me because, even with their claws clipped, they can do a lot of damage. And Sheridan will lay on top of Sabrina- Sabrina is barely two pounds and Sheridan is a 7 pound chunker. And she is only 5 months, so she will only get bigger!
You're right that three is an odd number, and I hope they settle in well soon. If one of them hurts the other, it could cause resentment that will never go away. :(

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Francis lovingly known as fat cat lays on my kitten as well it makes me nervous but they tend to kitty pile with litter mates so hopefully it's harmless I think they will be ok though you seem very involved and care a lot about them which is great bc they have a good referee

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love my sweet babies. They are the world to me, and I can't imagine my life if I didn't have them. But I've never had more than one cat at a time, so this is a new experience for me. I'm still learning what is and isn't normal behavior. Thank you so much for the help! :D

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd give you all an update. The girls now act as if they had been together their whole lives. They still fight over who gets priority seating on me, and they still fight over top spot on the cat tree, but other than the occasional over-enthusiastic rough play, they seem to have finally settled in together. <3 as i write this, Serenity and Sabrina are wrestling at my feet, with Sheridan watching over them, like a doting big sissy. The three of them are so much fun to watch together now that they aren't all ganged up against Sabrina! They even exchanged grooming and napped together earlier.