Is This Plant Safe?

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten seems to love biting it and playing with it (see photo). I haven't seen it on any poisonous plants for cats lists. Is it safe? I hope so as its my favourite plant in the house

Also, my kitten has a small scratch under her eye. I think she may have hit it while playing around furniture. Looks fine. Do kittens usually get superficial scratches and cuts? Would she be okay until Saturday when I take her to the vet?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently is called a Pont Tail Palm? Not 100% sure

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, that is a Pony Tail Palm (among other names). It's a very slow growing plant I have one that is 40+ years old and barely over 4 feet tall. It is not a toxic plant but it does have rather sharp edged leaves. I know we have three of them scatter around our property and the cats do seem to enjoy playing with the leaves when they blow in the wind. If she is playing with it excessively it might be better to move it elsewhere. Only because of possible injury to her mouth if she is bitting and pulling leaves frequently.. Not to mention it is slow to recover from damage caused by the cat (that's my mother's influence on me talking).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is a Pony Tail Palm (among other names). It's a very slow growing plant I have one that is 40+ years old and barely over 4 feet tall. It is not a toxic plant but it does have rather sharp edged leaves. I know we have three of them scatter around our property and the cats do seem to enjoy playing with the leaves when they blow in the wind. If she is playing with it excessively it might be better to move it elsewhere. Only because of possible injury to her mouth if she is bitting and pulling leaves frequently.. Not to mention it is slow to recover from damage caused by the cat (that's my mother's influence on me talking).
Thanks so much. As long as its non toxic im happy! Sharp edges arent a concern at the moment