Is this odd?

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Uriah to vet a week or so ago. We were actually talking about Kimbo because Kimbo's poops are very small compared to Uri's. The vet asked me how many litter boxes I had. I said 1. I explained to her that I had 2 down and was actually going to have 3 but when neither cat used the second box at all in 3 weeks I went ahead and put it away. I told her this, and she said that it's very odd that neither cat would use the other box..... I thought so too but if it ain't broke right?

I just went into the spare room where the girls' box takes up the full walk in closet..... Kimbo walked into the cat box first, Uri crept up after her so I thought she was going to ambush Kimbo as she was coming out. That didn't happen. They both got into the box, peed and walked out. Together. No fighting, hissing, or growling. I just watched in shock and amazement. They looked at me came out, went to the kitchen and ate and then commenced to chasing each other around the house like two bats out of Hades.

Is this normal? Is it healthy? They won't get sick doing this will they? For those who are wondering, there is 80 lbs of litter in that box just to give u an rough estimate of size. I think that that is the reason neither would use the regular box...... That's weird right? When I think of cats I think of the Mafia when it comes to territory. The fact that they both went in together is.... Just odd isn't it? Or have I stereotyped all cats as 4 legged mafioso bent on controlling the world?

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not that odd.  Some cats will use the same box and together.  It's fine as long as you keep it clean.  The other boxes, are they the same type as in size and depth, etc?  If so it is unusual that they don't use all of them.  Maybe try the same type and put them side by side?  But its not unusual and if you keep it clean, it should be fine and don't have to worry about health.  As long as Kimbo is going regularly, I wouldn't worry about the size.  Her metabolism might work differently than Uri's?  It's the only thing I can think of if the vet didn't find anything wrong.

bittykitty50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have six cats and some of them do this. They'll both use the same box and sort of act like the other one isn't even there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not that odd.  Some cats will use the same box and together.  It's fine as long as you keep it clean.  The other boxes, are they the same type as in size and depth, etc?  If so it is unusual that they don't use all of them.  Maybe try the same type and put them side by side?  But its not unusual and if you keep it clean, it should be fine and don't have to worry about health.  As long as Kimbo is going regularly, I wouldn't worry about the size.  Her metabolism might work differently than Uri's?  It's the only thing I can think of if the vet didn't find anything wrong.
Well no. The box I made for Kimbo is extremely massive. I went through 3 boxes when I first got her because she grew so fast. I decided to make her a super duper massive box, that way no matter how big she got she could use it comfortably. Uri was still small enough to use the largest of Kimbo's old boxes so I used that for her when I had them separated. When I finally introduced them and let her use Kimbo's super super mega box she just never went back. And Kimbo had already outgrown the old box so she had no interest. I got a slightly bigger box and put it in my bathroom and neither one was interested so I figured I might as well put it away. Thank you for clearing that up for me. The vet basically said what you said. They may just have different metabolisms. That and Kimbo doesn't eat nearly as much as Uriah does. But the box gets cleaned at least twice a day. More if I can smell when one of poop. I just clean it right then. Lol they have probably done this before. I had just never seen it. And with everyone saying that you should have one more box than you do cats I thought it was going to be like the Beat It video every time they would go. I have a very active imagination.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have six cats and some of them do this. They'll both use the same box and sort of act like the other one isn't even there.
Lol! That is exactly what they did! I just didn't expect for them to hash it out so quickly. They've only been together a month and after doing the research I figured it would take at least 6 months to a year for them to be comfortable with one another. Well I guess I'll just take this one as a win for now. Thank you for responding.