is this notoedres cati (feline scabies)?

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 1 month kitten has white-yellowish crust under his ear and has some small bumps on his body (I'll show pic)..he also got hair loss on his nose.. I've been wondering what it is.. I'm confused whether it's ringworm or notoedres cati.
this is the crusty skin under his ear:
IMG_20210814_170516.jpg
this is the small bump on his body.. it's crusty too.. he got several of it
IMG_20210814_170550.jpg

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know what it is; but, I would not wait around for a discussion on this. You shy make an appointment with a Vet. Pl are call today.

That first picture is concerning

If you have a Bet, see if you can send these pictures to them—- but still make an in person appointment.

Looks painful.
I know you be want the best for your baby.
(((Hugs)))

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for your concern.. I've bought a tube of advocate flea spot-on which is said to be effective on notoedres cati (scabies) or ringworm n probably the next product recommended by vet after revolution (stronghold)...but I'm afraid to apply on my kitten since he's just 1 month.. and i also heard from people that their vet apply it on their 1 month and a half old cats and it works great on their cats.. should i apply it on him?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Go to the vet. You don't know for sure what it is and you don't want to risk applying an OTC medicine on such a young kitten. Also, some forms of scabies and ringworm can be passed on to humans, so you really need to find out what you're dealing with as soon as you can.

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hm.. it's not that I refuse to bring him to the vet but the nearest vet from my place is not that hygiene..two of my other cats that were physically well that I sent there for FLUTD treatment got fungus on their ears and body from the vet.. and this is why I'm affraid to bring my kitten there.. hope i can convince my parents to bring him to other vet

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh dear, that doesn't sound like a good vet.

:sigh:

If you have other pets make sure you keep them separate and wash your hands well after handling the kitten. As I said, most forms of scabies and ringworm are very contagious. There's a good chance that any other cats in your house may have already picked it up too, so watch out for any similar symptoms.

Keep us posted on how the vet visit goes.

:goodluck:

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so guys..i went to the vet last Tuesday..she said that it's mange so she gave him Revolution instead of Revolution plus or Advocate because she said that they're too strong for 6 weeks old kitten. What I noticed is his crusty skin under his ear can be removed easily without bleeding and his crusty skin on his body already improved. She also gave me cream to apply on the crusty area (not sure what cream it is but it has strong mint-like smell which cats would unlikely to lick it. But my concern didn't end as he caught flu and conjunctivitis.. it's rainy these days at my place..i gave him immune booster and eye drop which are also provided by the vet.. I hope he can get well soon🤗

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I jsut looked up mange. It is highly contagious. even to humans. I am sure you looked it up...

Did the Vet mention anything about treating the other pets who have access to the inside of your house?
Wash bedding separately in hot water, soap and bleach, if possible.

As for you, and your family.. be careful!!! These are mites which can very easily be transmitted to humans and other animals.

Was this a feral kitten? If not, you really need to treat all the other animals.

((((Hugs)))))

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he wasn't a feral kitten..I already brought his siblings that might be infested to the vet and the vet also applied revolution on her..but there's one thing that i confused.. their mom is outdoor cats but i don't see any symptom on her but I'm pretty sure both of her kittens got the mange from her (bcz she's the only outdoor cat in my house) their mom is short hair but her kittens are semi-long hair. I thought the mites probably don't like short hair much and decided to move to new hosts with longer hair😂 but don't worry.. I always keep my eyes on other cats in my house 😉

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My dog was a rescue, years ago, from a high kill shelter with questionable protocols and he was treated, as an 8 week old puppy, with Revolution. At the time it was the original formulation and he healed well enough to be given a clearance to fly out here to be adopted by me. You have done a lot to help this family!