Is this normal?

jackiebagels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, it's been 2 weeks since we adopted our little girl Meko and our resident cat Mew is still quite cranky. I just want to know if her behaviour at this point is considered normal because she is transitioning as well. 

Mew still hisses at Meko, and sometimes growls. Meko tries to play with her and sometimes she just swats at her BUT I also catch Mew rolling on her back and exposing her tummy to Meko, and then they end up rolling around with eachother (nibbling, and whatnot). They also chase eachother around quite a bit but it typically ends with Mew hissing. I feel like I'm getting mixed messages from Mew, that's why I wanted to get another opinion. Is she starting to warm up to the idea? 

Another thing is Mew's behaviour towards us. She greets us when we get home, rubs up against us, licks us, exposes her belly and is quite vocal with us. Her mood shifts when Meko is around her and she doesn't want us to pet her and sometimes will swat at us or try to bite. Sometimes she will also hide. It really breaks my heart because she's my baby girl but I do understand that sharing her home with another kitty is quite difficult to accept.

Mew's background: We adopted her from a humane society a year ago, and prior to that she was given up by another family. She was quite shy when we first adopted her but she is very well trained and very relaxed. She loves to snuggle, but has her boundaries (it has to be her idea which we have accepted).  

She is a VERY vocal cat usually and follows us around most of the time while "Chatting". 

Other than this little situation, Meko is really warming up to Mew and us. She loves to snuggle and she follows Mew around and tries to play. I really hope that they can become "friends"... 

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dont worry! So much progress in two weeks is really good! My cats took much longer before they were that comfortable around each other. Mew is definitely a bit confused, hence the mixed messages. Showing her belly is a sign of submitting or showing that she means no harm, and the hissing would come from the invasion on her space. Try rubbing the two cats' scents on each other, or playing with then with the same toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackiebagels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I'll give that a try. 

I suppose two weeks is a short amount of time and something like this shouldn't be rushed. 

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No problem :D by the way the grey cat in the picture (who I'm assuming is Mew) has beautiful green eyes!