Is this normal

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

64 was spayed Dec 9 she has acted this way twice now.....

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not really sure!  I had a cat that would do something similar. She was spayed but had had a litter before that.  She also wasn't the brightest bulb in the box sometimes so I just never put too much thought into it I guess. 

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats do something similar to that when pet right above the tail- stick their butt straight up in the air in a "ready" position.... I think it's a reflex. They were both spayed at 8 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Vet did blood work on her today...pray they don't have to re do her spay..I don't want to put her or us thru that again

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my female cat does that too. she was spayed at 8 weeks, so i know she's not going into heat.

my concern is that you've able to notice when she does this. as you mentioned she has done it twice already...

my girl does it, but she's always does it, no matter the time of month, and so many times that i've lost count, it wasn't as specific as 64, where its obviously just about once a month and noticeable.

hope you get the answer you're looking for from the vet. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG really ? Your cat meows and rolls around in floor with butt up in air ? 64 hormone level came back as normal so for now no re do its a waiting game now. I pray she's just frisky

burkey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it makes you feel any better, I have a 7 month old female (spayed!) kitten, who does something similar, also. Primarily when I'm petting her. Especially if I'm petting her near the base of her tail. She's just happy I'm petting her, she's reacting to it feeling good. 

To go further....my 8 month old male (neutered!) kitten, when scratched near the base of his tail, throws his tail way up and sort of dances with his back feet while the front is crouched low. He's happy, too.

I've had lots of cats in my life, who have really enjoyed that spot on their back by their tail being pet, because it's one they often can't reach by themselves. I notice in the video, that 64 is being pet in that area. I think odds are good she's reacting to you getting a spot that she's been wanting someone to itch!

Incomplete spays & neuters do happen. It's not common though. If 64 is abruptly starting this behavior out of the blue, doing it constantly for roughly a week, and then totally stops the behavior as abruptly as it started.....and the exact behavior is repeated again later  (weeks to months apart!)....I think then perhaps you should wonder about the spay procedure. Until then, I think you are just making your cat happy.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG really ? Your cat meows and rolls around in floor with butt up in air ? 64 hormone level came back as normal so for now no re do its a waiting game now. I pray she's just frisky
lol. my girl does this about every other morning to wake me up, if not every morning. 

I never looked into it, or worried about it because she's spayed.

but what you said about her doing it once a month every month since she's been spayed, that's something to worry about.

since your vet has confirmed that her hormone levels are normal, i guess you should just sit back and consider it a weird quirk your kitty has. 

definitely keep an eye on her, and make sure she doesn't get outside, if you suspect that she didn't get completely spayed. pay more attention to kitty and maybe you'll notice that she's doing it more than once a month, or, keep track of dates, note down dates when 64 does it. then you can go over the dates and determine if this is her going into heat, or just her showing love, and if the results are more indicative of your cat going into heat, discuss this with your vet. 

i used to freak out over every little thing my cats did, but then after joining this site, and reading threads, i've learned to tell myself: cats are really weird. 

go with your gut. if you're really worried, take notes and discuss with your vet. that's the best thing i guess you can do. what 64 is doing in the video, my girl jet does the exact same thing. :)