Is this normal? What was that??

YukarisCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! This morning I've been watching a pretty big problem.

She (Luna) approached him (Mika) like any cat if they wanted to play, Mika did the same. They then just jumped at each other, Luna quickly tackled Mika and started bitung his neck viciously like there's no tomorrow. With all the screaching little Mika did, because it sounded super painful, we separated them. Fur wasn't the only thing that flew, it's the first time this happened. Is this still playing or do I have to be worried?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi there! This morning I've been watching a pretty big problem.

She (Luna) approached him (Mika) like any cat if they wanted to play, Mika did the same. They then just jumped at each other, Luna quickly tackled Mika and started bitung his neck viciously like there's no tomorrow. With all the screaching little Mika did, because it sounded super painful, we separated them. Fur wasn't the only thing that flew, it's the first time this happened. Is this still playing or do I have to be worried?
Is Mika a youngster and Luna an adult?
It could be setting the rules; Luna demosntrates its she whom is the First Lady, and he is just a junior. Ie a dominance behavior.

I would guess Mika was beginning to play superior. And kind adult often do allows it from kittens and youngsters.
but if their patience takes an end, they may put down the foot. As the swedish proverb says.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree she was showing him who is the queen of the house like most females do. They demand respect, they are the limit setters, the manners teachers. Was there blood drawn, did she actually bite deep and leave holes? If not, it was discipline. she also may have been scared by something you don't know about, a noise, a strange cat outside, etc., and was displaying misdirected aggression, which cats do too. Keep an eye on them, but I think Mika will most likely give her a wide berth for a while, and if not, will get more of the same. If it is dominance, her being female, it is natural and normal and there is not much to be done, except to chastise her and separate them when it gets too intense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YukarisCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Mika a youngster and Luna an adult?
It could be setting the rules; Luna demosntrates its she whom is the First Lady, and he is just a junior. Ie a dominance behavior.

I would guess Mika was beginning to play superior. And kind adult often do allows it from kittens and youngsters.
but if their patience takes an end, they may put down the foot. As the swedish proverb says.
They're both the same age. I thought she'd been showing dominance too but after seeing the holes in Mika's neck... not sure about that anymore.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The above advice, was good, for the normal situations. However, if you are seeing wounds, that changes everything. Please describe exactly what you mean by holes, because I'm concerned those are bite wounds, and bite wounds almost always get infected.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, true bloody holes means she is really trying to hurt him. Has it happened more then once? If he is avoiding her, she is truly hurting him. If he comes back for more, she may be at the end of her rope. You might want to distract them by throwing a treat for them when they look like that. Get a kickeroo, or two of them and toss them towards them when they look at each other too intently. I get mine on Amazon, they get rid of a lot of frustration.

YukarisCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The above advice, was good, for the normal situations. However, if you are seeing wounds, that changes everything. Please describe exactly what you mean by holes, because I'm concerned those are bite wounds, and bite wounds almost always get infected.
They look pretty much like bite wounds. We took care of them immediately, because I really can't stand seeing my cats bleed in any way at all.

YukarisCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, true bloody holes means she is really trying to hurt him. Has it happened more then once? If he is avoiding her, she is truly hurting him. If he comes back for more, she may be at the end of her rope. You might want to distract them by throwing a treat for them when they look like that. Get a kickeroo, or two of them and toss them towards them when they look at each other too intently. I get mine on Amazon, they get rid of a lot of frustration.
No, it's the very first time this happened. They do regularly fight, but in a more playful manner. He diesn't avoid her, in face he's been looking super confused at her since the incident.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By took care of them immediately, what do you mean? Without antibiotics, bite wounds generally get infected.

I agree with di and bob di and bob , bites don't happen by accident. They are a sign that the biter wanted to actually hurt the other cat. In fact, bite wounds are relatively rare even when cats do want to hurt each other.

I'm a little confused because it sounds like there weren't any other signs of hostility before this, and like they are both back to normal. Is there anything else you can tell us about the circumstances? Have outside cats been seen through the window? Any loud noises? Sickness, or injury? Are they back to normal now?

When we don't understand a cat behavior, we do have to wonder whether there might be a medical issue. Especially if the biter has seemed off lately in other ways, I'd take the biter to the vet, and preferably both cats.

I really only have experience with bites with one past set of cats, but in that instance the issue recurred and there was a second biting incident. So I'm glad your here, trying to figure this out, because my hunch is that once it happens once, your at serious risk of reoccurrence.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it gets vocal, it usually isn’t play. You may need to separate and re introduce.

YukarisCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By took care of them immediately, what do you mean? Without antibiotics, bite wounds generally get infected.

I agree with di and bob di and bob , bites don't happen by accident. They are a sign that the biter wanted to actually hurt the other cat. In fact, bite wounds are relatively rare even when cats do want to hurt each other.

I'm a little confused because it sounds like there weren't any other signs of hostility before this, and like they are both back to normal. Is there anything else you can tell us about the circumstances? Have outside cats been seen through the window? Any loud noises? Sickness, or injury? Are they back to normal now?

When we don't understand a cat behavior, we do have to wonder whether there might be a medical issue. Especially if the biter has seemed off lately in other ways, I'd take the biter to the vet, and preferably both cats.

I really only have experience with bites with one past set of cats, but in that instance the issue recurred and there was a second biting incident. So I'm glad your here, trying to figure this out, because my hunch is that once it happens once, your at serious risk of reoccurrence.

No, we were confused as well when it happened. We live on the second floor, so it would be hard if not impossible for another cat to peep in. There were no signs of hostility at all, neither before nor after. No loud or anything that could've spooked her. She had worms before, but that's long ago and we took them to get checked and got green light. They're pretty normal now, however I'm still very worried.
We ceeaned the wound with water. My uncle has a seemingly lifetime supply of antibiotics, the blessings of being friends with a vet! He gave us two packs and told us when and how.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes your cat seeing another cat out the window is enough, that is a pretty common source of trouble. Sometimes we can't figure out a cause of sudden aggression, out-of-the-blue hostility is definitely a thing, but I can't recall a case with out of the blue biting without other signs of stress/hostility. That is why I'd probably schedule a vet visit, at least if you spot any other behavioral/health issues at all.