Is This Normal Grooming Behavior? Video In Post.

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed Pixie doing this weird bite and pull behavior 1-2 months ago. I can't remember her doing this behavior before. She does it to all 4 paws although she likes to do the front 2 the most. She doesn't do this daily. I checked her paws and didn't see anything stuck in there, took her to the vet last Friday before we flew on a plane and she got a clean bill of health. She still jumps on things and scratches and walks normally. It looks to me like a nervous behavior, but she started doing this while we were relaxing on the bed, the was nothing happening to freak her out.

NT8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with jcat, had two cats myself who were nervous and they pulled their hair out or overcleaned to the extent that they developed bald patches. Turned out there were two feral males coming around their territory and freaking them out. If you haven't noticed bald patches around the legs/ paws then it's more than likely the claws...I'm forever hoovering them up or pulling them out of the sofa cushions! Is your cat an outside cat? The claws tend to sort themselves out if they're on concrete or climbing walls?

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats pull off the outer sheath of their claws - have you noticed any lying around after she goes through that routine? Most do their back paws with their teeth and use scratching posts to keep their front claws in shape. Does she have scratching posts or mats?
Mine had a claw trim at the vet a week and a half ago. She was working on the sheaths last night herself. Is it more likely that a cat will work on the sheaths after a trim? Just curious

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clipping claws will loosen the claw sheaths, so yes, you might see more of that behavior after a trim.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else, seems to be pulling the sheaths off his claws. Mine do this too and always if I've just clipped them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to go to a temporary housing for a month, just moved here 2 days ago. I had to fly so couldn't bring her scratching post. I did look on the bed and I did find a piece of hollow nail. I'm buying a scratching post tomorrow!!

Thanks everyone, I get over worried when I see new behavior, glad I have you guys.

Also, clipping her nails by myself is impossible. When I took her to the vet last week I asked them to clip her nails and they tried and couldn't, she was too agitated. She doesn't bite or scream, bit she hisses and squirms too much for them. I didn't particularly like that vet anyways, she's gonna see her primary vet here in Florida, they can probably do it.

Thanks again everyone!!!! :)