Is this much shedding normal?

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My cat is a domestic longhair. I adopted him back in April and he he had a gorgeous neck ruff and a really poofy tail.

He has been shedding quite a lot. And as the weather gets hotter, it gets worse. he is strictly indoors though.

Now, he does not have that special neck ruff any more, and his tail is not as fluffy as it was. His over all coat is less, but his tail and neck ruff are the most areas that he lost hair in.

Medically he is fine. He had all his vaccinations, did hid neutering surgery ... well, I guess these things might have also contributed to his hair loss.

I did not have his coat. I'm against the idea.

My questions:

1) is it normal for cats to she more in certain areas such as  the neck ruff and tail. I really miss that gorgeous neck ruff he had. :"(

2) When does the shedding season stop, and the coat starts flourishing? Is it in fall or in winter? What month approximately?

Thank you from me and from my Lulu.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello,

My cat is a domestic longhair. I adopted him back in April and he he had a gorgeous neck ruff and a really poofy tail.

He has been shedding quite a lot. And as the weather gets hotter, it gets worse. he is strictly indoors though.

Now, he does not have that special neck ruff any more, and his tail is not as fluffy as it was. His over all coat is less, but his tail and neck ruff are the most areas that he lost hair in.

Medically he is fine. He had all his vaccinations, did hid neutering surgery ... well, I guess these things might have also contributed to his hair loss.

I did not have his coat. I'm against the idea.

My questions:

1) is it normal for cats to she more in certain areas such as  the neck ruff and tail. I really miss that gorgeous neck ruff he had. :"(

2) When does the shedding season stop, and the coat starts flourishing? Is it in fall or in winter? What month approximately?

Thank you from me and from my Lulu.
it can be normal for long haired cats to shed enough that they look visibly much less fluffy in the summer/warm, hot weather months. it helps a lot to brush daily. some cats don't enjoy brushing or tolerate it for long, like my snick. snick is long haired. i just brush some, give her more of her breakfast, brush a little more, more of her breakfast.....and on and on. it's much easier to keep up with the brushing than to deal with tangles or mats.

cats actually shed all year long, but in colder climates the shedding in winter many times isn't as noticeable.

as it starts to get cooler, in the fall, you should notice the shedding becoming less. and as it starts getting toward/into winter you should see kitty's coat getting more full again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

it can be normal for long haired cats to shed enough that they look visibly much less fluffy in the summer/warm, hot weather months. it helps a lot to brush daily. some cats don't enjoy brushing or tolerate it for long, like my snick. snick is long haired. i just brush some, give her more of her breakfast, brush a little more, more of her breakfast.....and on and on. it's much easier to keep up with the brushing than to deal with tangles or mats.

cats actually shed all year long, but in colder climates the shedding in winter many times isn't as noticeable.

as it starts to get cooler, in the fall, you should notice the shedding becoming less. and as it starts getting toward/into winter you should see kitty's coat getting more full again.
Thank you.

Oh, my kitty hates combing, he just runs away. Brushing is better, but he still does not tolerate it that much.

My cat is longhaired., but does not have an undercoat. He once had a mat that I had to cut unfortunately.

Regards.