Is this mites?

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were playing with Mr. Fluff when I noticed he had a lot of build up in his left ear. It looked like very dark almost black blobs of ear wax. I haven’t noticed him scratching but it does look like there were some scabs in his ears. Last time I looked in his ears they were very clean, no build up black or otherwise and our other car Honey’s ears look totally clean. I’ll include a picture, I’m just wondering if cats can have dark ear wax build up or is it always mites if it’s dark like this? I didn’t want to dig into his ear and risk damaging something so this stuff is what was closer to the outer part.
771BDE32-C572-4DA1-8C99-648B6121E1E0.jpeg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Some symptoms of ear mites in cats are: Excessive shaking of the head, severe scratching, wax build up.

The photos look like mites to me as my Bourbon had it, but always best to check with the vet as the clinic will use an otoscope to confirm. If left untreated, it could lead to deafness.

Ear mites are highly contagious. Make sure that the beddings etc are always cleaned and vaccumed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of winter dead mites if you're cat is outdoors. I would give her a bath

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo has heavy wax build-up, and I have to have the vet clean his ears from time to time,but he doesn't have mites. The biggest symptom of mites is the head shaking and ear scratching. You probably should have it checked out with a vet.