Is This Looking Ok? Spay Incision Site After 6 Days.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

We sometimes have to readjust Coojee's onesie after she has been giving herself a clean. But we've hardly seen her incision wound & Coojee almost certainly hasn't touched it. I noticed the wound last night after we took the onesie off completely to get it back on straight. This morning, we took it off again to get a photo.

The site is slightly raised - like a lump. Gently touching it, the lump is hard, there is no "weeping" & Coojee does not react when it's touched. It's not hot. Coojee is eating & drinking, pooping & weeing almost normally, although her water intake is lower than normal. We give her a tin of water missed with the chicken in her wet food every food time.

I'm concerned about the lump & wondered what the forum members thought. I had expected the wound site to be flat.

DSC_1402-2.jpg

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks as if it is healing well. The lump is most probably scar tissue, many cats get it after spaying, it should go in a few weeks. As long as it is not bothering her or doesnt get bigger I shouldn't worry.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do let us know what your vet says about her incision. Hers does not look bad to me, but its hard to tell with a photo, at least for me. The main thing i watch for is any type of oozing or bleeding, or if the incision looks like its separating. A little swelling is normal, but if it continues to get worse at this point, then i would take her back in. Better safe than sorry. Hopefully she will continue to do good, and have no problems! :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. I will feedback what the vets says.

We have a follow-up appointment booked for tomorrow at 9am, so we will definitely get some feedback by then.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! Such a pretty, soft looking girl! I love her color and thick fur, my white cat has fur that's super thick and soft. So lovely to pet!:petcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet visit this morning & everything is fine. He checked her out carefully & found the wound is healing very well & not been licked at all. The lump is apparently caused by the body sometimes not wanted to absorb the absorb-able sutures. he said that more than likely, the lump will disappear over the next few weeks. In the worst most unlikely cases, the body refuses to absorb & a cyst appears where the body expels them. They can in that case be removed by the vet just under a local anaesthetic.

So everything looking good. Coojee is out of her onesie & feeling very happy. We've been playing a little & Coojee is investigating everything.