is this Jealousy or dominance issue

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok last time I posted the cats where adjusting to our new place plenty of loves cuddles head bumps and toys. Just a little back round I rent a four room house I share with one roommate. He has his space we have most of the house. Becouse I don't trust him to shut doors they are kept in my room while I am at work so they get my bed all to them self.

I have two cats tigger six zoey six. Tigger is on primal frozen raw and it has done wounders for his ibs he is having regular poops every couple of day not so much miralax needed and not as much slippery elm needed.

When my roommate is home they are in what ever room I am in till he goes out then they have the full run of the house. They love chasing each other around up and down the stairs. They sleep with me in my room all night in bed with me both of them. They are in my room all day no dry no free feeding zoey can have dry but tigger cant.

Ok here is my question in my living room I have no couch I have a recliner where I sit and they take turns on my lap. Why one night after tigger has his cuddle time with me and was off doing something zoey gets in my lap got all comfy in my lap and sleeping. Tigger comes up to the two of us acting like he wanted in my lap. Zoey got mad or jealouse not sure which but they went into a full blown fight these two have never done any thing like this in the 6years I have had tigger and the four years I have had zoey they have always played together. I did a reintroduction sent swapping separate rooms.

when it comes to me and time with me that's when the fights break out they have one other little fight about food I had left out on the counter. Now zoey hisses at tigger when he comes near her. Now Zoey used to bully my other cats that are now with my ex. Now tigger is the bully they are both fixed they get along except when it comes to me and time with me in the living room where the fight happened. other than that they both sleep with me at night they are in my room all day my roommate says they don't fight during the day. So it does not happen all they time. I know the living room will be a trigger spot for zoey and tigger wants to dominate her.

Down side my landlord sold the house I rent so we are going to have to move soon hate doing that to them again. Any advice on why they are acting like that. no other cats have come into the yard. I do keep a crate in my room if zoey feels scared she can go in there and go in and out as she please for security that's her safe spot she will wait in there till tigger finds his spot for the night then she joins us in bed.

Any advice is there something else I should be doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there and so sorry the delay in a response to your thread! I am about out of time on site here and have to feed cats :lol3: BUT wanted to drop in and address just a couple of things to start. Do you have a few vertical spaces available for your two kitties in your room while you are gone? This would help so much - a couple of cat trees, some staggered shelving on your walls, or even access to a tall dresser or cabinet. I do not think this is a dominance issue at all - cats don't see things in that way - such as dogs. If anything, I think, it is more of one cat wanting to control the other and just being in charge of his own resources - you included! :lol2: Try to have one-on-one time with each of them and when you start to see Tigger coming around when you are doting on Zoey - distract or intervene before Tigger gets too close. Have some really desirable treats on hand or nearby all the time during these lap times. Toss a treat towards Tigger to get him going the other direction. I would also suggest brushing each cat on your lap. Also - put us something tall behind that recliner - such as another cat tree - cabinet - table, that way Zoey will have an escape from your lap other than just jumping down off the recliner towards Tigger when he approaches. Offer other exit options off of the recliner. Again, vertical space can be a lifesaver during these times. I have to RUN but if I think of anything else, I will drop in. Hopefully others will chime in here too. :bigthumb:

Article that may offer some help too http://www.thecatsite.com/a/six-surefire-strategies-to-reduce-stress-in-cats