Is This Food Good For A Cat With Ibd

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
George's Aloe and the amino acid glutamate to help heal his gut. George's Aloe is very soothing and healing and tasteless. When I get a bad flare-up of reflux, I sip on a glass of George's Aloe and I can feel it soothing my raw esophagus with every sip.

Also colloidal silver daily. I've read that mycobacteria may be the underlying cause of IBD, Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. Mycobacteria are hard little buggers to kill. Colloidal Silver helps inhibit the biofilm that mycobacteria grow to protect them from antibiotics. Colloidal Silver also helps antibiotics work better.

You can put a tsp or so in his water bowl and treat him orally with it a few times a day when he's dealing with a flare-up. If you live in the US, Utopia Silver is a good company to order from. You can get 8oz of colloidal silver for about $16 bucks. They also sell a kit so you can make your own at home. Their website is UtopiaSilver.com.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is why so many IBD cats find relief on a raw food diet. It's finally the correct diet for them.
And many do not, which is why it's very important to do any food trials under a vet's supervision and if at all possible to consult a feline nutritionist. Never assume what will work for one cat is best for another.

Our cat's IBD was diagnosed by biopsy. It was most probably first triggered by E coli, which he presumably got from the raw diet his first owner fed him. After treating that, we did seemingly endless food trials and allergy tests and determined that he cannot tolerate chicken, including that in hydrolysed protein cat foods, or any grains, and that raw meat wasn't being digested due to the usually high fat content. If I'd followed the "raw food" advice I'd have ended up with a dead cat.

What has been working for him for the past 5 years is a single-protein, low-fat diet with a very small amount of (sweet) potato or turnips. Unfortunately, the brand we use, Vet-Concept, isn't available outside Europe.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Years of food trials for my cat to finally find the right onea that will be discontinued soon.
So I should by everything left thought it will cost 100s of dollars

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Years of food trials for my cat to finally find the right onea that will be discontinued soon.
So I should by everything left thought it will cost 100s of dollars
Yes, that's something I really fear. I've gradually introduced a second brand, Purrrr, but Mowgli only tolerates three of their proteins (pork, mutton, kangaroo), and it's even more expensive than the Vet-Concept.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So If I was to buy frozen hamburgers, nothing added, I could just thaw one out, break it in very tiny pieces, and let Harley eat it, raw? Also, where do you buy Rawz cat food from, I looked up on Chewy and the don't have it, and PetSmart also doesn't have it? I could order a case from Amazon, but would prefer to try one can first to see if Harley will eat it, because its too expensive to buy if he won't.
Not all cats like red meat so don’t be surprised if Harley isn’t interested. But you can’t offer just meat. It’s not nutritionally complete. There are vitamin premixes like EZ Complete which will balance meat with supplements to make it complete.

If you contact Rawz off their website, they can send you samples. They are really committed to their brand. I would try turkey, duck, beef, and rabbit. These are the single proteins that he’s likely not already allergic/sensitive to. The duck flavor has added salmon oil. Salmon oil isn’t the same thing as salmon protein (immune system doesn’t react to the oil like it does to the protein.). But the added fat can be problematic sometimes for some cats. Krista loves the duck but the extra fat gives her hairballs. She’s okay with the rabbit, but when I add salmon oil, she eats the rabbit as readily as the duck. But then I get to control how much added oil she gets when I add it. But the turkey is still the best for her and best to her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So If I was to buy frozen hamburgers, nothing added, I could just thaw one out, break it in very tiny pieces, and let Harley eat it, raw?

I personally would not use frozen ground hamburger type meat. It's better to buy a cut of fresh meat and chop it yourself to avoid potential bacteria issues that comes with grinding. Just be sure to check the package and make sure the meat has been enhanced or flavored with stuff like broth, sodium solutions, etc.

Butcher shops tend to have novel proteins like rabbit and duck. Buy a small boneless skinless cut. Or buy a chub (roll) of frozen meat from an independent pet store. Primal and Bravo are two brands.

Rawz can be found at independent pet stores and some online stores:
RAWZ | Where to Buy

I'd be cautious of using holistic type remedies like colloidal silver. Always check with the vet first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maggie101, Its almost $60 from Amazon, and I hate to get stuck with it if he refuses to eat it, but will probably have to order a case.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
George's Aloe and the amino acid glutamate to help heal his gut. George's Aloe is very soothing and healing and tasteless. When I get a bad flare-up of reflux, I sip on a glass of George's Aloe and I can feel it soothing my raw esophagus with every sip.

Also colloidal silver daily. I've read that mycobacteria may be the underlying cause of IBD, Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. Mycobacteria are hard little buggers to kill. Colloidal Silver helps inhibit the biofilm that mycobacteria grow to protect them from antibiotics. Colloidal Silver also helps antibiotics work better.

You can put a tsp or so in his water bowl and treat him orally with it a few times a day when he's dealing with a flare-up. If you live in the US, Utopia Silver is a good company to order from. You can get 8oz of colloidal silver for about $16 bucks. They also sell a kit so you can make your own at home. Their website is UtopiaSilver.com.
MOD NOTE: A reminder--always check with a qualified veterinarian before changing your cat's course of treatment or trying a new treatment.

tracy christian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is how I got my cat to gain weight on IBD. My cat was vomiting and had diarrhea most of the week. I started making his own food. In 4 cups of water, I boiled 3 chicken thighs, 1 package of turkey giblets & and 3 chicken livers. Once boiling I simmered for about an hour. When finished cooking, I drained but keep the juice. I deboned the thighs and put the drained meat & deboned chicken in a food processor I add a little saved juice and a tablespoon of flour to get a pate consistency. I pack in 3 containers and store 1 in the refrigerator and 2 in the freezer. If he has a little flair up I put five drops of homepet digestive upset in his food (bought at amazon). It has also helped. I buy the giblets and livers at save a lot for a little under 5.00 and the thighs are under 5.00 so I get a week's worth of cat food for under 10.00. I tried the fancy cat food and he will not eat it and it was so expensive.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. I started making his own food. In 4 cups of water, I boiled 3 chicken thighs, 1 package of turkey giblets & and 3 chicken livers.
Are you adding any vitamin and minerals to the food? If not, the diet of just chicken and organs is not a complete balanced diet. One way to turn cooked chicken or any meat (no organs or other things added) into a complete diet is to use a pre-mix such as EZComplete.

Many IBD have low B12 levels which can cause weight loss. A vet should check B12 levels and prescribe B12 injections to be given at home if needed.

tracy christian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he gets his vitamins from his crunches. the vet put him on purina kitten. He ok'd the homemade to get him to gain weight. If he starts to lose weight the vet will be putting him on steroid shots

tracy christian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! I will check on the Vitamin b12 shots when he goes back to the vets next week

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That recipe is notably deficient in calcium. I would search for a seaweed calcium or an eggshell calcium to add to that recipe. Otherwise your cat may develop weak bones and teeth. Not right away. But over time, a diet deficient in calcium will result in withdrawals from the bank (bones) without regular deposits to keep the balance in the green. 😿 Alternatively, Alnutrin with calcium would balance that out completely with the other nutrients that recipe is low or missing. But at a very minimum, you need to be adding calcium. Because calcium isn’t a number that the crunchies can fill. It’s a balance with the phosphorous in the diet. The more meat your cat eats without a calcium supplement, the more acidic his body will be from having more phosphorous (acid) without enough calcium (base) to balance it out. It’s about balance. And that recipe is not balanced.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he gets his vitamins from his crunches. the vet put him on purina kitten. He ok'd the homemade to get him to gain weight. If he starts to lose weight the vet will be putting him on steroid shots

So you're also feeding dry food? I would limit the cooked chicken mixture to no more than 10% of the diet to avoid causing a nutritional imbalance. It would be better to err on the side of caution and add a pre-mix to the plain cooked chicken so you don't have to worry about nutritional imbalance.

Dry food generally isn't recommended for IBD cats. Too many fillers that can cause flare ups in sensitive IBD tummies.

Most IBD cats take the pill form of prednisolone rather than a shot.

You may want to take a look at these two web sites for more info on IBD in cats:

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be suspect of the peas. Peas aren’t a natural part of a cat’s diet. Neither is salmon for that matter. Your cat is probably going to be sensitive or allergic to the most common cat food proteins depending on what diet he has been eating. I’d avoid chicken, salmon, and tuna. And peas. There’s a Cat Food Ingredient Google Sheets page in the Cat Nutrition forum to avoid those ingredients. In my Krista’s case, she doesn’t like red meat so most “novel protein” foods are out. Novel protein only has to be novel for your cat, not all cats. She likes and tolerates (no reactions) rabbit and duck. But turkey is her favorite and she thrives on that. Krista eats Rawz Turkey and Turkey Liver Pate. Rawz makes the best food for IBD cats short of making it yourself.

But food trials are not likely to be successful until you can heal his gut. And the BEST way to do that is not steroids or novel proteins or limited ingredient diets. The best way to heal any gut (or butt) problems is a collagen and gelatin rich meat stock. The gelatin and other collagens will literally heal, they provide the materials and the nutrients to heal the gut.

Here’s a real “meaty” article on what feline IBD is and why a homemade meat stock is the best medicine.
StackPath

And here’s a video and transcript on how to make a meat stock:
Bone Broth Is Excellent Nourishment for Older Pets

If you follow along in that video or the transcript, meat stock is the strained liquid after round 1. It is the nutrients from the meat and the connective tissues. It is not necessary to continue to round 2 which is boiling the bones until they fall apart. That is bone broth. Bone broth is a stronger flavor, not all cats like it (my Krista doesn’t care for any bone broth), and it can be difficult for some individuals to digest. And anyway, all the good stuff is in the connective tissues anyway.

That link has instructions for chicken. But I told you to avoid chicken. I make turkey meat stock by placing uncooked bone-in with meat and skin cuts with joints like wings and thighs. Cut the joints with a knife and fill a stock pot or crock pot about 1/3 of the way with the meat and bones. Fill just to cover the meat with filtered water. With a crock pot on low, 10 hours is perfect. Set it at bedtime. At morning, strain it, cool it, cover it, and come back 8 hours later. Scrape the fat layer off and portion your meat jell-O into ice cubes and freeze. These stock cubes can be thawed to serve in a warm or hot water bath. My Krista will eat it cold from the fridge but you can warm it to lukewarm. I wouldn’t go hotter than that. You can mix it with food but I wouldn’t mix it with anything he won’t finish in 30 minutes. Stock is wonderful medicine but old stock can make him sick. I would aim for one or more ice cubes worth per day. I don’t think you can overdo it but start slow like anything else.
Since this old thread has already been dug up--I'm curious, do you still feel the same way about meat stock daftcat75 daftcat75 ? I'm only asking because you mentioned it can heal a leaky gut, and if that's what Morty could have I'm curious if I should experiment with it...especially since you also mentioned that food trials may not go well before that happens.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since this old thread has already been dug up--I'm curious, do you still feel the same way about meat stock daftcat75 daftcat75 ? I'm only asking because you mentioned it can heal a leaky gut, and if that's what Morty could have I'm curious if I should experiment with it...especially since you also mentioned that food trials may not go well before that happens.
Honestly, I’m mixed on meat stock after I gave Krista a clostridium infection from an undercooked drumstick. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 Months of liquid poops! 😿 Slow cookers are a perfect environment for an anaerobic bacteria like clostridium to thrive. 😔

If you wanted to try it, I would make sure you trim most of the meat away from the bone. Leave just a little for flavor but not any large chunks. Use a cleaver to cut the bones so that the marrow can seep out into the stock. The most beneficial components are the collagens though. Those come from the joints. Using wings or thighs are good because you get more joints than a drumstick. If you use a slow cooker, cook it 10 hours minimum for meaty bones. But don’t cook it for 24 hours or longer like you might for bone broth. If you’re watching Dr Becker’s video on how to make bone broth, stop after the first stage. That’s the stock. It’s not necessary to continue to the second cook for bone broth. You want whatever meat is left dripping off the bones. But you don’t want the bones to disintegrate. The reason for that is that the longer you cook it, the more glutamates come out into the stock. Some cats (and people), especially those with a leaky gut, are sensitive to glutamates. (Think MSG headaches.) So you strike a balance between making sure any meat you left on the bones is thoroughly cooked while not cooking it so long that the bones fall apart as in bone broth.

Alternatively, an hour to 90 minutes in an Instant Pot is probably sufficient.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I’m mixed on meat stock after I gave Krista a clostridium infection from an undercooked drumstick. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 Months of liquid poops! 😿 Slow cookers are a perfect environment for an anaerobic bacteria like clostridium to thrive. 😔

If you wanted to try it, I would make sure you trim most of the meat away from the bone. Leave just a little for flavor but not any large chunks. Use a cleaver to cut the bones so that the marrow can seep out into the stock. The most beneficial components are the collagens though. Those come from the joints. Using wings or thighs are good because you get more joints than a drumstick. If you use a slow cooker, cook it 10 hours minimum for meaty bones. But don’t cook it for 24 hours or longer like you might for bone broth. If you’re watching Dr Becker’s video on how to make bone broth, stop after the first stage. That’s the stock. It’s not necessary to continue to the second cook for bone broth. You want whatever meat is left dripping off the bones. But you don’t want the bones to disintegrate. The reason for that is that the longer you cook it, the more glutamates come out into the stock. Some cats (and people), especially those with a leaky gut, are sensitive to glutamates. (Think MSG headaches.) So you strike a balance between making sure any meat you left on the bones is thoroughly cooked while not cooking it so long that the bones fall apart as in bone broth.

Alternatively, an hour to 90 minutes in an Instant Pot is probably sufficient.
Nope, after reading that first sentence and second to last sentence I don't think it's worth the risk. Thank you!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started to post pictures but saw your reply. Instead of cancel, I fat fingered the Post Reply button.

Probably wise to avoid meat stock right now. You can see about mixing gelatin into any homecooked to supplement collagen.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, after reading that first sentence and second to last sentence I don't think it's worth the risk. Thank you!
Krista did love the meat jello (meat stock) before that fateful batch. Besides adding unflavored gelatin to home cooked, I would look to see if there is a collagen supplement that’s recommended for cats.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Krista did love the meat jello (meat stock) before that fateful batch. Besides adding unflavored gelatin to home cooked, I would look to see if there is a collagen supplement that’s recommended for cats.
It looks like there is a pretty good one from the Mercola website (and it's also on amazon). Isn't gelatin pretty much just cooked collagen? I'm trying to do a bit of research and they're coming up as interchangeable, including on the ibdkitties website. "Another word for collagen is gelatin. Collagen is a scientific term for a particular protein in the body, while gelatin is a food term referring to extracted collagen."

Bone Broth – IBDKitties