is this complete food?

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I need some advice how to transform mush-food to complete food for my cat. Contents: chicken 47 % (meat, heart, bone, liver, skin, vom), turkey 35 % (meat, bone), pork 18 % (meat, kidney, heart, liver, bone), total: meat 54 %, organ 23 % (heart 10 %), tendons and ligament total 12 %, fresh bone 11 %.

The company recommend that Taurin is added, so I´ve bought heart (ground up like minced meat) from from the local butcher. How much should I add?

And I´ve also bought oil that contains vitamin E and omega 3, 6 and 9. Add a few drops? She is allergic to fish, so I bought wheat germ oil. 

My cat is 1 year old, and neutered.  I plan to feed her raw a few times a week, the other days she will eat canned complete food (no grains) and dried meat (as kibble, complete food as well).

I´m not ready to feed home-made raw, not yet...... I´m trying this first, to get to know a bit more first.

She loves raw! Her tail was "shaking" yesterday when he got 2 balls of raw.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi!

I need some advice how to transform mush-food to complete food for my cat. Contents: chicken 47 % (meat, heart, bone, liver, skin, vom), turkey 35 % (meat, bone), pork 18 % (meat, kidney, heart, liver, bone), total: meat 54 %, organ 23 % (heart 10 %), tendons and ligament total 12 %, fresh bone 11 %.

The company recommend that Taurin is added, so I´ve bought heart (ground up like minced meat) from from the local butcher. How much should I add?

And I´ve also bought oil that contains vitamin E and omega 3, 6 and 9. Add a few drops? She is allergic to fish, so I bought wheat germ oil. 

My cat is 1 year old, and neutered.  I plan to feed her raw a few times a week, the other days she will eat canned complete food (no grains) and dried meat (as kibble, complete food as well).

I´m not ready to feed home-made raw, not yet...... I´m trying this first, to get to know a bit more first.

She loves raw! Her tail was "shaking" yesterday when he got 2 balls of raw.
Sounds like you bought a raw grind. Is it a frozen roll/cub? You can turn that into a complete diet two ways. The easiest is to add a pre-mix to the meat. The pre-mix contains all of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. I use the Better In The Raw pre-mix. TC Feline is another one. What you do is defrost the raw meat until it's soft enough to mix with a spoon, measusure out the pre-mix and water and whatever else is listed on the bag of pre-mix, mix everything together, and then portion the food out into contaners and freeze.

The other way is to follow a recipie such as the one at Catinfo . org I know someone who follows that recipie but uses rolls of raw meat purchased from Hare Today . com instead of grinding up her own meat as recommended by the recipe.

If you plan of ncluding raw meat in the diet, you shouldn't feed dry food at all. It's because of the digestive rates: raw food is digested pretty fast while dry food takes a longer time. If there's still dry food working it's way in the digestive sytem and the cat eats a meal of raw food, it can cause an upset tummy because the raw is now stuck behind the dry. Is there a reason why you need to feed dry food? Could you feed freeze dried raw instead of regular dry food? Many brand sof reeze dried raw are complete diets and can be fed dry if you ony plan on keeping small amount available during the day for the cat  to snack on.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Double post

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

i feed ziwipeak dried (dried meat and organs) as kibble. I want to keep that food due to the reason you named. To keep around during the day. 

I have vitamins and mineral pills for her, I´ve adde that to the defrosted cub, but I´ll check into the brands you motioned. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ziwi Peak is good, if expensive. I used to keep canned fod out during the day for my cats to snack on but they started leaving it untouched so I stopped. They're ok with going 12+ hours between raw meals.

Better In The Raw and TC Feline aren't sold in stores. Better In The Raw can be bought directly from the company (KnowBetterPetFood). The TC Feline web site has info for the product but you can't buy directly from the company. The web site has list on where to buy the product online.

Definitely look into the recipie at Catinfo com and even the one at Catnutrition com (sorry, I don't have the ability to make actual clicky links at the moment) so you know what supplements need to be added to raw meat ad in what amounts

What brand of raw grind did you buy? Some brands may have just plain meat with bone available. Some cats may not like the smell or taste of ograns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought Mush, cat basic, the website says that they cain´t promise that it is complete food (??), and advise to add heart to get enough Taurin. My cat is used to ziwi peak, so she is used to the mix of meat and organs, and to very low amounts of grain. She thrives on zp, but I´d like to get her to eat more kinds of food, and actual raw meat is the next step. And I don´t want a fussy cat....

She is constantly hungry. But if she would decide about the amount of food then she would not be as slim as she is today. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting a cat used to all types of food is a good idea
You never know when there might be a time when you can only feed a certain type (like dry food is easier to store and feed in emergency situations than canned or raw) or if your cat has to eat a certain type for health reasons.

I've never heard of the Mush brand of raw food. I see that you are located in Sweden so I guess that's why
I'm pretty new to the board as well so I'm not sure if there are other members from Sweden or Europe who can offer suggestions on how to make a raw diet over there.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@IrinaSaK is in Romania I think, so she may be of help in finding some foods/premixes in Europe.  Many premixes like TC Feline are to be added to plain meat (not meat and bone), and some premixes require liver, so that's something to consider before buying.  Here in the US I can buy powdered taurine, so I'd consider that option as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TC Feline pre mix is available in Europe. A German company sells it, tcfeline com/tcpremix-europe/