Is this cat pregnant?

cocoalquz03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old female cat who is unspayed that I think might be pregnant. She is strictly indoors but I recently started cat sitting my friends 8 month old male cat at my home. He is smaller than her so I suspected nothing would happen. She started her heat cycle while the male cat was indoors with her but I didn’t see any mating. Although he tried he was just much smaller than her so I didn’t think it was possible. It has been 3 weeks since her last heat cycle and the male cat was also returned.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi are you going to have her spayed, whether or not you plan to do any more cat sitting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalquz03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I’m not currently planning on it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your vet can do an ultrasound and/or xrays to confirm if she's pregnant.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s most likely pregnant. Cats live longer and healthier after being spayed and have less chance of experiencing uterine and mammary cancer.

We are a pro spay and neuter site, so please plan to have her spayed after this litter weans.

cocoalquz03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay did you wanna pay me for that? I didn’t ask if I should spay her I asked if she was sleeping pregnant. I’m literally still paying off her vet bills for all her shots and exams. Im sorry I’m not jumping to get her spayed so I can be in even more debt.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are a pro spay and neuter site, so please plan to have her spayed after this litter weans.
Is there something in the rules that says to post on this site you must have your cat spayed or neutered? You can’t just demand someone to fix their cat. You can advise it, but it’s not your cat…

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A spay/abort will be much, much, much, much, much cheaper than allowing your cat to have kittens. I went through 50+ cans of wet food and a 40-lb bag of litter per week fostering just 4 7-week-old kittens, and then after adopting two of them almost immediately spent $1000 on their second rounds of vaccines and vet visits for coccidia (all this after the shelter had already paid for their first vaccines, neutering, deworming, antibiotics for eye infections, and an enucleation). And these were relatively healthy kittens that didn't need bottle feeding -- do you have the time and supplies to syringe feed KMR every two hours without fail if any of the kittens have trouble gaining?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is there something in the rules that says to post on this site you must have your cat spayed or neutered? You can’t just demand someone to fix their cat. You can advise it, but it’s not your cat…
From the forum rules, which you must agree to when signing up -

3. This is a pro-spay-and-neuter website. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old.
While no one can demand that the cat be fixed, you can expect opposition when you say you have no intention of having your cat fixed.

However, in the pregnant cats and kittens forum the focus is on a healthy pregnancy for the mother cat and babies first.

C cocoalquz03 The members are here to help you through this pregnancy. Please post any questions you may have. If you provide a general location, the members call also help you find options for a low cost spay/neuter after the birth.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a 2 year old female cat who is unspayed that I think might be pregnant. She is strictly indoors but I recently started cat sitting my friends 8 month old male cat at my home. He is smaller than her so I suspected nothing would happen. She started her heat cycle while the male cat was indoors with her but I didn’t see any mating. Although he tried he was just much smaller than her so I didn’t think it was possible. It has been 3 weeks since her last heat cycle and the male cat was also returned.
Other than the two cats being in the same house, have you seen any signs of pregnancy? Three weeks is a little early to be seeing definite signs but it's possible. The picture of the nipple you posted does not look like a pregnant cat to me, but again, it's a little early to tell.

cocoalquz03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well here are some things that I noticed
1. More irritated when people hold her than usual
2. Her abdomen feels more firm
3. Sleeps more than usual
4. Always purring when I pet her which she would never do
She gets health exams every few months and she’s really healthy so my only explanation for the changed behavior is the fact that she might be pregnant. I could just also be paranoid because the size difference between her and the male cat was significant. She has another exam in two weeks and I also asked if they can check if she is pregnant so I’ll find out either way.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly, the size difference doesn't really matter. If you have a cat on heat and an intact male it's almost inevitable. And at 8 months he'll definitely have what it takes.
Her nipples don't look like a pregnancy, but keep an eye on them.
I'm with Joelle and the kittens Joelle and the kittens . It's way cheaper to spay/abort than to let her have kittens, and now is a good time. I don't know about where you are, but in Australia, consults aren't cheap.. if it were me I'd just book in for the spay so you're not paying for a consult then taking her back for spaying.
If you don't want to spay her, then obviously it's really inadvisable to have your friend's cat visiting.