Is This Cat Feral Or A Stray?

Jillian09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there, I have started feeding a cat that hangs around the place where I rent my townhome. I noticed the cat maybe back in late September and just starting on November 30 I decided I wanted to help it out. I started putting food out for it and didn't know if it was the cat eating it or not until I came back from a walk one day and there it was on my front porch. When the cat noticed me it didn't run away right away until I started getting closer. I am really bad at telling distance so I will try and attach a picture of the cat that I took showing the distance. Anyway, I see this cat out and about sometime during the day just lounging around in the sun. I saw it again in another place by a bunch of chairs stacked up and it allowed me to get a little closer to it then. I have since made a little cat house for it and put a small heating pad to provide some warmth and I put the cat food in the house. The cat gladly goes in to eat the food but then leaves when it is done. I transformed my cat house into a kind of cat trap to bring the cat indoors but then started having second thoughts because I didn't actually know just how feral this cat is. I also have no idea how old this cat is or if it is male or female. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I just want the best for the kitty.
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe see if you can make friends before you bring it in? Looks like you got pretty close in the one photo there. That makes me think it’s not feral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jillian09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the 5th picture from the top I am looking at it through the window at the top of my door. The cat didn't actually know I was there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jillian09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe see if you can make friends before you bring it in? Looks like you got pretty close in the one photo there. That makes me think it’s not feral.
I definitely think I am going to feed it for a little while longer and see what happens

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a girl, FYI. Calicos are almost always female, the chances of it being a boy are low enough to dismiss the possibility.

She looks well fed and healthy. More likely a recent stray or a pet with outdoor access IMO. You can try posting to Nextdoor or signs in a mile radius "is this your cat?". If you do manage to catch herI would encourage you to put a breakaway collar on her with a tag saying "if this is your cat please call me" before trying to bring her indoors.

My crew goes outside and I know the girl is that skittish of people that you could feed her for a year and she'd still run away. My boy, not so much. I am going to have to do a "welcome to the neighborhood, this is Link he has a home and don't feed the fatty." note when the house across form us sells.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once decided to bring him/her in....YOU must take the initiative. Move the food, a couple of feet every day...closer to your entry door. Perhaps he'll enter, if that is your plan. But you've gotta have a plan.

It took me a couple of MONTHS to get the violent Bug indoors. What a battle. From outdoor, nasty feral/stray to near 2 years indoor now. Amazing transformation. My best buddy. No regrets. A 6 cat home here.