Is this cat calico?

entropy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys. This is my friend’s cat. He is male so I wonder if he is calico because calico male cats are rare. Can you guys tell me if he is calico or not? And are calico male cats likely to have health problems?
Thank you so much.
D2AFB635-2878-41D9-B070-40119B63F95C.jpeg
2174DFFC-77DD-43B3-BD29-8DCB16397E9C.jpeg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That’s a cute-ico! Adorable kitten. Looks tabby and white to me unless the orange isn’t showing in the photos. Calico is white orange and black I think.
Might be Tabbico tabby and calico where the dark areas are striped.not a real term.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is adorable, is he a Scottish fold? He looks like he is pb. Look up the colors they have. He looks like a bicolor brown classic tabby to me. Here are pics and links. Maybe a golden, but prolly not shaded. As for the health issues some breeds may have specific issues, not usually due to color or pattern. And domestic cats can have them as well. It is rare for males to be parti color/ tortie/ calico because they need to have an extra X chromosome and are usually sterile.

These are possible sf hereditary health issues

Osteochondrodysplasia, a developmental abnormality that affects cartilage and bone development
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)
Cardiomyopathy, a form of heart disease

B8AE3057-8CA4-45CC-8ED3-6E7833ADAA0E.jpeg

855FA989-3E0B-4226-8920-1855F2482191.jpeg

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scottish folds can't be purebreds as if two scottish folds breed the kittens will all die. That's why they are always bred to another breed of cat. Usually british shorthairs.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Scottish folds can't be purebreds as if two scottish folds breed the kittens will all die. That's why they are always bred to another breed of cat. Usually british shorthairs.
Not how that works. They’re generally bred with Scottish straights, which are conformationally identical to folds and still registered as SFS or SSS [Scottish fold shorthair or Scottish straight shorthair] depending on registry (iirc in CFA they’re all SFS, but straights can’t be shown), so the litter will all be registered. They’re still “purebred”. On the occasion they’re outcrossed to BSH instead, who have similar, but slightly different conformation, it’s only done with BSH close to SFS standard, and only in registries where they’re a permitted outcross, so they’d still be pedigree, registered SFS. “Purebred” is a misnomer and an uncomfortable term besides, imo. When people say “purebred” they mean papered pedigree, because no papered pedigree can be completely “purebred” by definition, or they’d be an inbred mess.

Also, idk where you got the fact that they all die from. Cats with two copies of the gene are “just” more likely to suffer from a more serious form of OCD, which is a joint condition caused by the same mutation that folds the ears. Cats with one copy of the gene can still suffer from the condition, and can do so early in life. Perhaps you confused it with the gene that gives munchkin cats their short legs — two copies of the gene is lethal in utero.

Last edited:

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scottish folds can't be purebreds as if two Scottish folds breed the kittens will all die. That's why they are always bred to another breed of cat. Usually British shorthairs.
I thought it just had to be two cats with folded ears can't breed. So a straight-eared SF can't mate a folded-ear SF either?