Is this behavior problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catprobs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
According to the Vet, I have a very physically healthy cat and I am a very responsible owner. Her blood and fecal test came back negative from abnormalities.  However, I am concerned about her behavior.  I got Martha when she was a month old and now she is 16 years old.  For the past year, she freaks out when I am out of her sight or not by her.  For example, when I'm in the bathroom, she knocks on the door until I get out.  The only time she doesn't meow is when I'm holding her, she is by me, or she is sitting on my lap.  She even freaks out just when I get up from my chair.  She follows me EVERYWHERE in the house.

I setup a short 15 minute video of me leaving the house to go to work.  She was meowing like crazy for the whole 15 minutes. I am not sure if she has a psychological problem or she's just being affectionate.  If no one has any ideas, I will just bring her to a vet for another checkup. 

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

According to the Vet, I have a very physically healthy cat and I am a very responsible owner. Her blood and fecal test came back negative from abnormalities.  However, I am concerned about her behavior.  I got Martha when she was a month old and now she is 16 years old.  For the past year, she freaks out when I am out of her sight or not by her.  For example, when I'm in the bathroom, she knocks on the door until I get out.  The only time she doesn't meow is when I'm holding her, she is by me, or she is sitting on my lap.  She even freaks out just when I get up from my chair.  She follows me EVERYWHERE in the house.

I setup a short 15 minute video of me leaving the house to go to work.  She was meowing like crazy for the whole 15 minutes. I am not sure if she has a psychological problem or she's just being affectionate.  If no one has any ideas, I will just bring her to a vet for another checkup. 
Hm... Well, I'm assuming you haven't had any major changes in your living situation (new people, new place, etc). If you have, that is the first thing to look at. Some old cats really don't like having their environment changed. But as far as health...

The first thing that pops into my head is that one of her senses might be getting a bit weak -- hearing or sight. Or perhaps a touch of senility, such that she doesn't know where you are if she can't see you. Is it worse at night? Is she forgetful of anything, like perhaps not grooming quite as much, or lapses in litterbox use? Is she less reactive to noise than usual, or navigating her space with less certainty?

You might also want to look for something that could be causing her a persistent low-level pain. This can make kitties kind of agitated, and either clingy or stand-offish, depending on the cat. Stuff like arthritis, or a bad tooth.

Basically, if all her levels looked good, I'd start looking at all the standard old age stuff that won't show up on a blood test, but may be causing kitty confusion or discomfort.

Last edited:

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I tend to agree with Lilin, I have had two cats that have lived to a good age, 18  and 19.  The little female cat I had started to meow loudly, she was going a bit deaf, she was also doing some very odd things, she actually walked backwards and she looked a bit strange.  When I  took her to the vets, he said she was probably going a bit senile and I was seeing in her what some cat owners never see unless their cat is very elderly. It sounds as if your cat is suffering from the problems of old age maybe. I have read that elderly cats can suffer from a form of dementia just like people do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catprobs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, 

I haven't been here since April.   Just here to say that my cat died a couple days ago.  My Vet said her sickness was "unknown" was just "simple chronic allergies".   Martha was a great cat....wish I knew was was really wrong with her.  I can tell you now that she lived a very great life.  I treated her very well and always gave her the best food.  After I took a shower before work, I found her behind my flower pot.  I'm not sure why she found that place for her resting spot.  I heard cats always use corners or go behind things for their death bed.  Is this true?  Anyway, RIP Martha.  Thank you for being a well-behaved and obedient cat.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge as an enduring testimony to your friend.

It's very common for pets to find a secluded spot when they feel the end coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.