Is this balanced?

soupdragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been feeding my kitty raw for about 6 weeks now and have developed a routine and diet which works for us but just wanted to check it’s balanced and should I add any supplements or change anything.

He’s 18 weeks old and gets about 200-220gms of food per day (7 – 8 oz) split into two meals (he’s a maine coon so he’s going to be a big boy when he’s all grown up!)

Over one week, he gets one whole poussin/small chicken (minus head, organs and feet) weighing 450g (1lb) chopped into bits which I divide into seven portions, so he gets one portion a day which will include skin, bones and meat. So one day he will get a drumstick plus some muscle meat, another day backbone plus muscle meat etc. So every day he gets roughly 65g (2 – 3 oz) poussin bone and meat. On the basis that a whole chicken is roughly 1/3 bone, I worked out he gets approx 150g (5 - 6 oz) bone a week, or to put it another way, 21g (0.75 oz) a day.

I aim to vary this and use the same technique with rabbit. In fact, I just chopped and portioned up my first rabbit and was gagging while I did it, ugh!

The rest of his daily ration is made up of two or three whole chicken hearts, about 40g (1.5 oz) minced meat of different varieties (chicken, beef, rabbit, lamb) which I get from a pet food supplier and which includes bones, organs and meat and the balance is then meat chunks – usually chicken or turkey thighs or stewing beef with kidneys. About three times a week, I also give him chicken livers (maybe 20g a time) and a capsule of salmon oil squeezed over his food.

Does this sound balanced? Does he need more organ meat other than heart and liver? He gets some kidney, but not much. Is there too much bone or liver in his diet, given the ground meat also has bones and organs in it? I asked the supplier to provide a break down of the minced meat, but haven’t had a response. Should I add extra taurine or other supplements as the meat is frozen after I've prepared it, and I hear that freezing can cause taurine levels etc to deteriorate?

He seems to be thriving – he’s (too!) full of energy and has a lovely soft coat.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right lines and he's getting what he needs during this important time as he's growing up!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would run that by a nutrition minded vet or other animal professional with experience ...

Taurine and freezing is a interesting read and I do believe the concultion has not been truly reached ...

I personally have used a supplement of the whole food kind to ensure all nutrients are met ... My reading and the Vets I work with also use this method ....