Is this a worm?

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten had an xray yesterday as they thought she could be pregnant, turns out she’s FULL of poo. I just got home from work and noticed (see picture) coming from her butt. 😖🤢
IMG_1311.jpeg
also are the spreadable to humans? Do I need to change all my sheets? Sorry for the dumb questions 😲

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like a worn to me, maybe a tapeworm, but I can't be sure. When my cat had tapeworms, the segments looked like pieces of rice. Whether or not they are transmissible to humans depends on the type of worm. You could take one to your vet and have them look, and also ask them about a broad spectrum wormer like Drontal. I would change the sheets just to be on the safe side.

Here is an article about many different types of worms that can afflict a cat.
10 Common Types of Worms in Cats (With Pictures) - Cats.com

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it certainly looks like one, but I would have thought worms would have shown up in the xray. What did the Vet say about her being full of poop...did they do any treatment? You might send this pic to them and ask what they think, since you were just there.

As to transmission to humans, as mentioned above, it depends on the type of worm, but I would definitely not take a chance and change the sheets!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it certainly looks like one, but I would have thought worms would have shown up in the xray. What did the Vet say about her being full of poop...did they do any treatment? You might send this pic to them and ask what they think, since you were just there.

As to transmission to humans, as mentioned above, it depends on the type of worm, but I would definitely not take a chance and change the sheets!
Our vet told us to give her more wet food (we just started introducing it) to get her to poop. She did go last night but not a huge amount - definitely not the amount seen in her!!! I sent the pic to my vet and we started her on treatment today. She’s had a fecal float before and all testing was negative, it’s confusing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I’ve seen no more. Can this possibly be something else / cause she’s in heat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never heard of a cat only having worms because they are in heat. Are you saying she is currently being treated for worms? If so, then perhaps the treatment is working. If not, then another fecal float might be in order. Most vets will take a sample that you bring in for testing. It only has to be refrigerated if you can't get it there quickly.