Is this a worm?

Martian Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pretty certain it's not, but doesn't hurt to ask I suppose. She's 4 mo old, and been dewormed twice. It's dry, hard, and difficult to break actually. I'm wondering if it's wood scrap? (I use pine litter)
20220722_110742.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your cat hunt?

It could be a fragment left over from whatever she killed and ate, last. A piece of bone, maybe?

When a cat eats a mouse or something, little bits of indigestible matter will pass out in the stool.
It's normal and natural. Provided your cat is otherwise healthy, there's no reason to worry.
If you don't like it, keep her inside and don't let her hunt. Instead, make sure that she gets enough playtime where she can "kill" a toy mouse instead of a real one.

If your cat is an all-indoor cat and doesn't hunt, I agree with the others. It's probably a piece of debris that came in the litter.
This happens, sometimes.

Factories have machines that are supposed to detect foreign matter and reject any contaminated product.
They are super cool! They use digital cameras that scan the product 1,000 times per second and there are metal detectors and computers. If you are a techno-nerd like me, you'll find it really interesting!

However, even though these machines are 99.999% accurate, there's still a 0.001% chance that some foreign matter could find its way through. Stuff happens... :|

If you don't think the foreign matter is harmful and you don't think your cat has gotten into anything, just throw that piece of junk in the trash.

If there are more than just one or two small pieces, or if you think it could cause harm to your cat, call the company and report it.

Even though the person you talk to might seem unconcerned, the people on the production lines DO care and they WILL want to know about it.

When I worked on production lines, the term we used was "escape." When something got past the screening machines, we say that it escaped. If there was an escape and, if somebody could have done something to prevent it, they would have been written up. If somebody got written up twice, they would have been taken off the production line and put on trash pickup duty for a week. If they got put back on the line and they got one more write-up for an escape that could have been prevented, they were suspended for three days. After that, if there was one more escape, that person got moved from the production line to the unemployment line.

For all the bureaucracy that companies seem to have, they take stuff like this VERY seriously!

If you do call, make sure you give them to code number from the package that your litter came in. From that number, management will be able to tell what day your product was made, what factory, which production line it was made on and who was working on those lines when it was made.

If there was a "problem employee" who wasn't doing his job, the situation WILL be handled!

Last edited: