Is this a tick, scab or something else?

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning I noticed this on my cat's ear. Hoping someone can tell me if it's a tick, a scab from an injury or something else. Thanks.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that it doesn't seem to bother her and she gets Bravecto for ticks and fleas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If it is a tick, upon closer inspection you should see legs (I think 6); the head won't be visible. If for some reason Bravecto isn't working, the tick will become engorged by feeding off your poor baby's blood - so, look for it to grow in size. I think it will fall off on its own if the Bravecto is effective as it will stop being able to suck blood as it dies.

Odds are it is something else - could be a cyst, wart, or some other type of growth. Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer their input!!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesnt look like a tick to me. Over the years greg and arnold, my cats each got one, so im familar with them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Not a tick. I don't see legs and it looks like a cyst or growth of some sort. There also appears to be a small indentation and redder area in the middle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner, Purr-fect and fionasmom. The growth on the cat's ear almost doubled in size within 24 hours of my post. Soon after that it looked like the cat scratched it open, quite a mess. It slowly started to get better and now is almost completely healed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Sounds like it could have been some sort of wound that became abscessed. They will swell in size and eventually burst open - scratching would certainly help that process along. I am glad that it didn't become infected and require more extensive treatment, given you are saying it is nearly healed now. I assume you kept it clean after it broke open? Just continue to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't reappear - indicating there is still pus in the underlying tissue and that it would need to be treated in order to entirely get rid of it.