Is this a Profender / deworming side effect?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hima goes to toilet in the yard and is secretive about it so I don’t know about her bowel movements. She doesn’t spend much time outside at all though so if she had runny diarrhea I think something would leak in the house which didn’t happen.

On Thursday night I noticed a foul odor from her bottom after she came back from the yard. I also noticed a small white, spaghetti thickness thing out of her butt. I think it was a worm but not sure. She was on Stronghold which supposedly treats roundworms and hookworms. It’s been a month since the last dose.

Friday afternoon I applied the more inclusive Profender. She slept a bit more than usual on Friday and Saturday afternoon. But she had the zoomies on Friday night, played and all.

On Sunday she had her regular dry food, 3 wet food meals, a bit boiled turkey as treats but skipped her last wet food meal and didn’t have any dry food as she usually does either. It looked like she had tummy pain. Hunched sitting position, she stood up several times just to stretch and did teeth grinding each time.

This is now Monday. She skipped her breakfast first and went outside. I thought maybe she might feel comfortable after pooping. Whatever she did, she stayed unusually too long outside (1 and a half hours), when she came back only ate like a spoon worth of wet food and skipped the rest. She grooms herself. No hiding.

I will try Fortiflora in the afternoon and call the vet if that doesn’t help but is this a Profender / deworming side effect?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave my two Profender to treat roundworms and didn't notice any side effects. I would let your vet know and see what he/she says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took this recording. I don’t know if I should read anything into it? See the second (what?) comes out a while after the first. This is about 10 minutes after she drank water.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent the video to the vet too. She thinks what we see in the video could be yellow-white loose stool. Hima still doesn’t really eat. She ate such a small piece of boiled turkey breast and was hesitant for that. It doesn’t look like she has nausea though - no lip licking, and she didn’t vomit as far as I see. :coldcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What else did your Vet say other than what she thinks is the color of her stool? There is definitely something going on. First all that water coming out, then that odd colored stool, plus her lack of appetite. From everything that I can read on this topic, everything says Vet visit. Have you taken her in or just send your Vet the video? The Fortiflora might help, but it may take more in this case.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What else did your Vet say other than what she thinks is the color of her stool? There is definitely something going on. First all that water coming out, then that odd colored stool, plus her lack of appetite. From everything that I can read on this topic, everything says Vet visit. Have you taken her in or just send your Vet the video? The Fortiflora might help, but it may take more in this case.

Do you think the second thing that comes out might be a worm?

The vet wasn’t very alarmed as there aren’t many symptoms. Like she’s not vomiting, not hiding, still alert and even gets playful. That’s why she first wants to test the stool to check if there are any other worms or something.

Good news is after tomorrow morning’s little Fortiflora she ate more boiled turkey at night. Still not enough. This morning she ate her usual amount dry food (yay!) and half of her usual wet food with Fortiflora. There is still some problem clearly but there’s improvement too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she's eating better now. That was my main concern, really.

I don't really think that was a worm that came out of her. It looked too big around. Granted, there could have been a worm mixed in with some stool, but that part is difficult to say unless someone actually went over and looked at it. (that would be YOU :wink:)