Is This A Normal Cat Mouth Or Does He Need To Go To The Vet?

iheartlife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat who just turned one has some spots in his mouth I just noticed. I've only had him for six months and I don't know if they were there when I got him. I attached a photo and circled the areas I was concerned about. He's solid white (I read in an article that a cats color can affect the inside of their mouth but I don't know if this is the case). Please let me know if this is normal or if I need to take him to the vet. If I need to take him to the vet I will, but if you think it's normal I really can't afford an unnecessary vet visit at this time. The outer circles (1 & 5) are more yellowish than the photo makes them appear. Also circle 1 has a brown spot above it. Circles 2 & 4 are whitish yellow (more white than yellow but a slight tint of yellow is there). Circle three is reddish pink. The rest of his mouth is its usual shade of pink.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iheartlife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does the gumline look like? Pale pink & healthy? Does he have any difficulty eating?
The gums in general are normal light pink. Right where they meet the teeth is slightly darker pink. He has been eating fine until today when I put out a different flavor food (same brand but they didn't have his normal flavor). So I think the picky eating is due to the different flavor of food and not a sore mouth. But I could be wrong. I attached photos of his gums from both sides of the mouth.

Attachments

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also if you soak the dry food to make it soft they usually will eat it better if they don't care for it much..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, I commend you on being able to get photos that clear of your cat's mouth! The gum line looks good. I'd just keep an eye on the spots for two or three weeks, every few days (but don't drive both of you crazy with it). If things look as if they are changing, a vet visit is in order. If not, well...cat's mouths have all sorts of interesting variations. Hekitty's gums look like someone edged them with a black ruffle (just the silhouette, not texture).