Is This A Lavender/lilac?

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally got a picture of Minuette that *almost* does her justice. She is a light, soft blue with reddish/brown tint.
minuette.jpg

Her background: came from a hoarding situation with about 20 other cats, 3 of which were the same color as her. Many were Siamese-type chocolate points. She is not like any blue I have ever seen and animal control put 'lilac' on her paperwork.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess so, although dont hang yourself on this my guess, Im not good at cat colors.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, she looks like a lilac (lilac = dilute of blue, making it a double dilute). Smoke colors are different, half of the hair shaft is black. She is pretty!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she looks like a lilac (lilac = dilute of blue, making it a double dilute). Smoke colors are different, half of the hair shaft is black. She is pretty!
Hmm, isn't lilac dilute of chocolate? That's what this chart says: Blog About Cats: Cat Coats Color Dilution

Chocolate is rare in the general cat population, and lilac even more rare. But she doesn't really look blue either, so maybe. If it was a hoarder situation there may have been a lot of inbreeding; all that duplication of genes would increase the chances for rare colors.

She's beautiful! Even if you don't know what to call her color ;).

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, isn't lilac dilute of chocolate? That's what this chart says: Blog About Cats: Cat Coats Color Dilution

Chocolate is rare in the general cat population, and lilac even more rare. But she doesn't really look blue either, so maybe. If it was a hoarder situation there may have been a lot of inbreeding; all that duplication of genes would increase the chances for rare colors.

She's beautiful! Even if you don't know what to call her color ;).
What's funny, is that I was certain that lilac was the dilute of chocolate (having read through numerous online articles about feline genetics, as well as Robinson's book) until recently when a friend of mine (who also happens to be a cat breeder) told me that this was wrong, and that lilac is the dilute of blue. I was confused, but assumed that this was right (seeing as she has to deal with genetics in her breeding program), but I guess I was misinformed. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She might be a lilac.I don't really know ,it is hard to tell precise coloration.Whatever color she is does not matter to the amount of love you will have with your kitty.She is beautiful.