Is This A Good Sign?

Jacie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have mentioned before that I brought home a kitten (Bug) and I'm currently introducing her to my resident cat, Izzy who is 3. I have kept Bug isolated for a few days then let her out a few times a day when izzy is hiding or in the basement. A few days ago we started feeding them together and playing with them together. It's been going well in my opinion, Bug is eager to be friends with izzy but izzy is timid and hisses at Bug if she gets too close, but doesn't try to attack her or run away from her. Today they played together, ate and then were in the same room together, izzy approached Bug and sniffed her and Bug hissed at her. Izzy seems still scared of bug a little but there is not really any aggression. Is this good? I want some opinions other than my own. Also, what should my next steps be?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds good to me. My oldest cat hissed at my youngest for months. My youngest would slowly approach and the oldest hiss. Over a period of time the hissing got less and less. Now they sleep together regularly. In fact, this is the scene right this moment ...

IMG_0018.JPG

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Hissing is a warning and as long as Bug listens to Izzy she will get more comfortable with Bug at her pace. Don't worry someday Izzy will stop hissing.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened in my house. The new cat was hissing when the resident cat Luna got too close. But I thought it was going well otherwise. Sometimes she hisses and sometimes she didn't. She was still unsure. But then they got stuck in a small space together and Kitty attacked Luna and now they both don't like each other. They both hiss and growl at each other now, Luna is afraid of her and Kitty is going after her now.

We've taken two steps back, and I have to start all over from square one.

So from my experience, I would still keep them mostly apart until the hissing stops.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could see that too. We don't have many places where the cats don't have another way out. Actually I think there is only one bathroom that is set up in a way that a cat could fully corner the other. If you do have places one could corner the other you might want to stay supervised until the hissing stops. I should mention my youngest is a very cautious personality and didn't push the oldest past his comfort when he hissed.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
And my Luna has no manners or social skills whatsoever when it comes to other animals (or people). She is very in-your-face and extraverted. So she paid no heed when Kitty hisses. Both my Luna and my dog Bosco know no danger. They would willingly put their head into a lion's mouth, and not realize a thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds good to me. My oldest cat hissed at my youngest for months. My youngest would slowly approach and the oldest hiss. Over a period of time the hissing got less and less. Now they sleep together regularly. In fact, this is the scene right this moment ...

View attachment 186564

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Hissing is a warning and as long as Bug listens to Izzy she will get more comfortable with Bug at her pace. Don't worry someday Izzy will stop hissing.
Sounds great thank you! And your cats are adorable!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
The hissing could last forever, based on my cats. Keika is right, as long as the two cats are reacting appropriately to each other's communication there shouldn't be major squabbles.