Is This A Good Low Phosphorus Diet? Recommendations? (hare Today + Anutrin Eggshell Supp?)

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just when I thought I thought I overcame mixing raw at home after the sad Radkat closure, my 15 year old Ragdoll's lab results just came back and has early signs of Stage 2 kidney disease (according to the IRIS definition).

I just watched this video: and am very familiar with Lisa Pierson. My cat became diabetes free after feeding him wet food only and eventually switching him to raw several years ago, thanks to Lisa Pierson's amazing cat diet info. And based on this YouTube video, IRIS definitions of kidney disease stages *may* be possibly be an overestimation... This can probably be debated by experts which I am not but what I can tell you is that his creatinine is 2.5 and BUN is 37 which is high on the normal range according to the lab results. Whatever I can do to prevent or slow down the progression of kidney disease is where my head is at right now.

What I can also say is that I don't want to take any chances but I think I totally messed up when I first put him on an 80/10/10 chicken meat, muscle, and bone composition about 3 months ago. I was so overwhelmed by trying to configure a raw diet on my own that I did not realize that 10% bone is actually relatively high for a senior citizen 15 y/o cat. :/

So learning from my mistakes, and wanting to provide the best preventive measures and slow down the progression of kidney disease, I need to figure out the best raw cat food mix.

I read one other post that was very similar to my situation and there were recommendations for TCfeline low phosphorus supplement and recipe but I'm wondering if this is similar to Alnutrin's version with their eggshell recipe? I'm surprised I cannot find the detailed analysis of all the %ages of what's included in the supplement. Am I just not looking in the right place? I want to be able to use the Hare Today protein (ground chicken + muscles) + low phosphorus supplement.

Also, is it a good idea to add the appropriate amount of fish oil into the mix, then freeze it or is this something you should do when feeding in real time, one capsule a day?

This is just my initial post/research into this sphere as I just learned about my cat's lab results today. I am SO glad I did not reorder my Hare Today protein items yet as I was planning to do this weekend!

Thank you for any help/insight you can provide!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using Alnutrin with eggshell supplement should probably give you around a 1% phosphorus which is pretty low. That's how RadCat was able to advertise .97% phosphorus for their foods because of eggshell. You can further reduce the content of phosphorus by making your recipe fattier. Fat doesn't have phosphorus. I emailed Alnutrin before and they said I can keep the skin on for half of the boneless meat. If I keep more skin on than that they said I would be going below the minimum. So you can reduce the phosphorus by keeping the skin on half of your boneless meat for Alnutrin with eggshell. The fish oil is really up to you. I personally find it easier to dispense the oil into their food when I serve. I use a tiny screw driver to poke holes into the fish gel. Plus with this method I have more control of the dosage.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, is your vet aware your feeding and preparing raw? (Raw fed animals usually have slightly higher readings, which is what your cat seems to be showing...I'm not a vet or even all that smart so don't hold me to that ;))
I would stop using the bone, or at least drop it way down in quantity and use the raw egg shell or the supplement and do as kittyluv387 kittyluv387 suggested and re-test in 4-6 weeks or so to see if the levels come down.
It's scary when they're 15 but the levels may just be a reflection of something in his diet that can be fixed and adjusted. If not, early stage kidney problems in a 15 year old can be managed for a long, long time :wave3: