Is this a good deal on a swing/playset?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(I'm full of questions lately...sorry!) I was browsing Craigslist this weekend and I came across an add for a Little Tykes Swing and Playset for $200. It is 5 years old and in excellent condition according to the sellers. (Of course DH and I would inspect it before agreeing to purchase.) It's faded from the sun; but other than that supposed to be good. The sellers child is now 6 so they are upgrading.

This is the set on the Little Tyke's website: http://www.littletikes.com/toys/endl...extension.aspx

So what do you think? It retails for $500. We should get several years of use out of it. We do have 2 other outdoor toys by Little Tykes that were used when we got them and they have held up very very well!

I'm just no good at haggling if the price isn't good! They are offering a seesaw with it as well; but we actually had another given to us too.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that little Tykes toys are very durable. I still have the octopus merry-go-round I bought for my oldest when she was 2 . She is now 20. I also still have the playhouse and kitchen set. I bought for her around the same time. They are all outside and still being played with.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Little Tikes stuff is pretty fantastic. There's a garden play thing at the YMCA where Zoe does baby gym classes, and she LOVES it. It went through multiple kids, and is now at the Y for the babies to use, and it's in such good condition still.

I think $200 is a reasonable price, offer a bit less and see what they say

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - off $150...they should bite if they are replacing it. We live very close to a great park so we haven't bought our guys a set.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I think we will offer $150 or maybe $175 to start. We live almost across the street from a park but I want something for home too. The playground part is at the other end of the park and it gets REALLY hot here in the summer. So it would be nice to just have to go out back. I won't drive to the park since it's close; but that walk in the middle of summer can make it seem miles! LOL I don't tolerate heat very well so I'm not being completely lazy!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what that one looks like, but I found one through google that is mega bucks! So if it's anything like that one, then $200.00 is reasonable.

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/endl...layground.aspx

When I feel I'm selling something for a reasonable price, I abhor when people try to haggle down! And I never haggle when I feel I'm getting a good deal on something either.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's my fear. There is a link to it in my original post. It's smaller; more geared towards toddlers. My hope is that it'll last her till she's 5-6. So 4-5 years of use is great for $200.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope so. I'd like to have another little one in a few more years too. We are going to go see it on Saturday; so I'm crossing my fingers!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck on Saturday! I think I would offer less, but if they're adamant and the set looks as nice as it does in the picture, take it. Especially since you want more children and they'll use the set, too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all! I feel better about the price now. DH is supposed to be working on our fence Saturday but now it's supposed to be in the 30s so he definitely wont mind a break!! I can't wait!!!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Not sure what that one looks like, but I found one through google that is mega bucks! So if it's anything like that one, then $200.00 is reasonable.

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/endl...layground.aspx

When I feel I'm selling something for a reasonable price, I abhor when people try to haggle down! And I never haggle when I feel I'm getting a good deal on something either.
NOt a bad deal. I have the one referenced above. Got an okay deal directly through Little Tikes. Agree, offer 150.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear you didn't get the set.

The large, redwood swingsets are a high-return item at the Toys R Us stores. If all the boxes aren't still sealed, they go back to the distribution center and are recycled. Breaks my heart to see all that gorgeous wood, etc., being thrown in the crusher or recycling dumpster. I think a lot of people get them home and suddenly realize what a big job it is to assemble them.

An example

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's almost exactly what I want to get her someday! I love the clubhouse parts! What really attracted me to that set is that she can use it now (she is almost 15 months; so she'll be a year and a half mid summer) and through her toddler years. Then in a couple years we can go all out and get a big set. I would love to get a playhouse that I can make curtains for and things like that! My backyard may be a child's paradise someday... LOL

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For what it's worth, I currently have a coupon for 15% off on any purchase over $75 at Toys R Us. But it expires on 4/2.

That would make a $300 playset $255.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can also check yard sales in the summer. Little Tykes stuff lasts forever. I still have a Cozy Coupe from when my son was little...he is 18 now.

I don't know if they still have a discount store, but I live 20 minutes from the Little Tykes plant in Hudson Ohio.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

For what it's worth, I currently have a coupon for 15% off on any purchase over $75 at Toys R Us. But it expires on 4/2.

That would make a $300 playset $255.
Oh thank you! You are so sweet to offer it!! I think we may just wait for a bit now; but I'll go have a look tonight (after my buggar is in bed!). Part of my problem is finding one that is suitable for her now as a toddler. I've found one that is good for very small toddlers; but she might not use it next year. The one that I was going to get from those people is only available right through Little Tykes.

I will let you know tonight or tomorrow if I could use it. I really really do appreciate the offer!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

You can also check yard sales in the summer. Little Tykes stuff lasts forever. I still have a Cozy Coupe from when my son was little...he is 18 now.

I don't know if they still have a discount store, but I live 20 minutes from the Little Tykes plant in Hudson Ohio.
Oh that could be dangerous for me! LOL!