Is This A Decent Brand Cat Food?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Hill Country pate you showed, candie candie , looks better than some of the premium foods I looked at. The two I looked at have wheat gluten, which I would not want to feed. I agree with what daftcat75 daftcat75 said, that the good thing about the pate in your picture is that it does have meat going for it! Sure, there are some things I wouldn't want to feed, but I'd take that over the "premium" foods with wheat gluten or potatoes! (And there are much fancier brands that cost several times more but have much worse ingredients.) I'd say go for it.

I can understand your concern about recalls, though. I think about that, too, with all cat foods that I buy: recalls have hit lots of brands, though, so it's not that I forget about the possibility, though I don't use it as a deciding factor.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder with all the different cat food brands on the market whether FDA/USDA gets to them all or if they only inspect the bigger players. (Or when they have an axe to grind with raw food manufacturers :angryfire: There's still a Rad Cat-sized hole in the raw market for a good commercial boneless option. Edit: For any commercial boneless option, for that matter!)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder with all the different cat food brands on the market whether FDA/USDA gets to them all or if they only inspect the bigger players. (Or when they have an axe to grind with raw food manufacturers :angryfire: There's still a Rad Cat-sized hole in the raw market for a good commercial boneless option. Edit: For any commercial boneless option, for that matter!)
The FDA screwed Rad Cat, and a lot of cats suffered from it.
candie candie this recalls business can be scary but investigate it from all sides and read between the lines. It's another plus for having a cat that will switch brands with no problem in case a real problem happens.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I would think will the volume of food production by Purina ( Friskies ) the FDA probably has an inspector living there !

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder with all the different cat food brands on the market whether FDA/USDA gets to them all or if they only inspect the bigger players.
I expect that Hill Country Fare is actually manufactured by one of the "bigger players" since it has an AAFCO feeding trial statement on the label and the smaller companies for the most part don't do feeding trials. Along with many other pet food brands, Hill Country Fare used to be manufactured by Menu Foods, and was involved in the 2007 pet food recall. Menu Foods was bought out by Simmons Foods. I do not know if Hill Country Fare is now produced by Simmons Foods.
Menu Foods - Wikipedia

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The FDA screwed Rad Cat, and a lot of cats suffered from it.
candie candie this recalls business can be scary but investigate it from all sides and read between the lines. It's another plus for having a cat that will switch brands with no problem in case a real problem happens.
It’s still difficult when you have 3 cats with serve food allergies.